1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would happen if I quit before my official leaving date?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by diamondskies, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Hi

As my title suggests, I am thinking of leaving my job, but am currently in the middle of securing a new mortgage and therefore unable to quit at the October half term.

I wanted to know if I were to give in my notice at a different, i.e not the official 31st October or spring half term, what would happen? Would I still be paid up until when I did leave? For instance, if I were to hand in my notice upon my return to school in January with a view to leaving at spring half term, i.e February or for the Easter holidays, would this mean they wouldn't pay me? I noted that LEAs have never pursued anyone to sue them for breach of contract, but didn't know if teachers were paid until when they worked? Would this affect my pension?

Sorry for so many questions, but I would be very grateful for any advice.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

In practice, it is unlikely that they would sue, although they could if they wanted. It might wreck your chances of a good reference, which could be important if a future employer wants one. You haven't given any deatils as to why you might need to leave at short notice, but my advice would be to leave after Easter, which means that you get paid for the Easter holidays. Even better is in the summer, when you get the whole 6 weeks holiday pay. But you might have a good reason for leaving earlier.

3. If you are in a LA school you don't have the choice of leaving at a different time. The resignation dates are fixed and the leaving dates are fixed. You resign by half term to leave at the end of term. No choices.

4. Thank you for your reply. I want to leave asap, as I am very unhappy. I am not moving to another school, as I am moving to set up my own company, so I am not concerned about references and have references from previous employment. However, I am concerned that the leaving date says 30th April? This would be after the Easter holidays and I could maximum last until the Easter hols, but no longer. Do you happen to know if I have to go back after the Easter break which ends before 30th April? Looking around the forums and on direct gov it would appear that I do, if I don't have another school to go to?

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

In that case, I would resign now and delay the mortgage. It strikes me as very risky to start a new business with a new mortgage to finance as well. Pardon me if this seems rude, but are you intending to keep your plans from your bank? If not, resign now and tell the bank about your new company.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

My thoughts exactly.

7. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I personally have been in the position twice now where I have resigned from a post after the official resignation date. Both times I asked permission from the head teacher to apply for posts that had come up after the May resignation date, and both times I was granted permission to apply for the posts, and then to take them up. I was very fortunate, and appreciate that not everyone can be in that position. When this was happening, I found it best to be upfront with the management, and like I said, I was fortunate.

8. I once left on 30th April without a new job to go to. I went back to the school for a couple of weeks after Easter - as I had been replaced, I was given odd jobs to do! However, the head would have released me at Easter but I had put 30th April on my resignation so insisted I was paid until then!
    If Easter doesn't fall over the 30th April, then leaving dates can usually be negotiated. But this is the only time of year - as the 31st December and 31st August ones always fall during holidays.
    You are paid until your leaving date.