1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would/do you miss from overseas?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by stopwatch, Oct 8, 2020.

?

If you had to choose one, permanently, where would you love?

1. UK

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Overseas

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

To compliment @TeacherMan19 thread, what is it about your overseas country that you do/would miss if/now back in UK?

For me:
    From Saudi:
    Nothing
    From Egypt;
    Nothing
    From Dubai:
    The teaching experience (far outperformed anything I had in UK)
    The positive, ‘can do’ vibe
    The well organised infrastructure
    The resources and facilities
    The relative peace and calm on the street
    The friendliness
    The ethnic and multicultural mix
    Lack of crime/personal safety
    My car
    My apartment
    THE MONEY!!

OK, your turn......

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Amen Stoppers!

Although I would add travel opportunities, having worked in SA and South East Asia. And the fooood!!

stopwatch likes this.
  3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

The warmth of the people.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

The food is a big deal to me. Money is usually better and work/life balance better than anything available in the UK.

However, many places have vile locals. Many international schools have very high demands of your time. Many international schools which are excellent employers go bad very quickly when new management arrives.

5. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Romania:
    Beautiful countryside
    The vibrancy of the younger people - you really are meeting a generation that is keen for change
    The simplicity of the food
    Wine - Romanian wine is so underrated in my view, it's the best in Europe and such good value
    Simple traditions like really low key, peaceful Xmas days, or martisor
    My Romanian friends
    Being able to understand and speak a reasonable amount of the language
    Being able to "pass" I didn't stand out as foreign

What I think I will miss from Thailand:
    The food
    The beautiful scenery
    The markets
    The randomness

It's early days for me here so it's hard to know.

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I would miss the money and savings,
    Holidays,
    Classroom budgets,
    Cost of living,
    Opportunities for meeting the diverse people I meet (life in the UK became a bit stale in the year preceeding me leaving).

I don't miss:
    Christmas/forced celebrations during holiday season with the family,
    The lack of experimentation, development and movement in the education system

stopwatch likes this.
  7. Sukina

Sukina New commenter

Having just returned to the international environment after a three-year miserable time in the UK, I have missed everything international, and I am so grateful to be back. And that's after working in well-resourced independent schools in the UK. The UK way of life was so drab for me; I actually felt 'homesick' for internationally-minded colleagues, international students and the wonderful 'otherness' of life abroad.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I didn’t find the people in Saudi particularly warm and a number of the parents were vile and arrogant with no reason to be so

9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

From current country:
    All year round mild weather...no A/C and no heating needed
    My huge garden
    Fresh locally grown fruit and veg
    No traffic to speak of
    10 minute commute to work
    Scenery
    Wildlife
    Amazing holidays (not since covid, but I did some wonderful trips in country this year)
    Safe streets (mostly)
    A government that want economic and medical health for their people and put procedures in place to assist that ( by no means perfect but going much better here than in many wealthier countries)
    A community where I am respected
    A simple relaxed lifestyle
    Great coffee

From China:
    WeChat
    WeChat
    WeChat
    And dumplings

10. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

That's a good shout. I miss having a garden. Apartments are no match for a house.

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Where is your current country? It sounds very nice

12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Your warmth seems to match theirs.

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Actually, no. I am usually a very warm and welcoming person.

14. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Do you live on my street? ;-)

Huge garden be aside (ours is medium), my list would be almost exactly the same...

15. Orvilleneo

Orvilleneo New commenter

Eagerly anticipating this reply. I want to live there and I do not even know where it is yet.

16. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

It looks like I’ve described a utopia there.

Many, many people find it boring and miss the “western” comforts that simply can not be bought here, no matter what your budget.

Just happens to suit me just fine at my time of life, so I see all the good points.

17. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I don't think I could ever move back to the UK, although I may feel differently at some point. I have the dilemma at the moment that there are other places in the world I'd like to try living in, for the travel opportunities, the chance to improve my language skills and the general experience of it, but I love so many aspects of living in Malaysia that I feel like it's almost inevitable that I wouldn't like a different place as much.
    Things I'd miss about Malaysia:
    - warm, friendly, helpful people
    - cultural and ethnic diversity
    - feeling safe
    - travel opportunities
    - amazing food
    - beaches and snorkelling/diving
    - varied and interesting scenery
    - sunshine every day
    - far fewer everyday frustrations than in the UK
    - fantastic medical care
    - driving is safe but more fun than in the UK
    - great accommodation for your money
    - availability of pretty much everything you could possibly want
    - celebration of the festivals and key dates for all of the main cultures/religions living here
    - lack of divide between expats and locals (unless you actively set out to stay separate)

18. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

All the above for Malaysia. The only down side was that while the low salary and weak currency went a long way for SE Asia, saving a decent nest egg was much harder to build in Malaysia. If you substituted Vietnam for Malaysia, then all the above applied, plus 'good money' and excellent opportunities for very well paid private work from the local wealthy.

19. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Saving potential in Malaysia very much depends on the school you're at, as the salaries at some schools are 2-3 times higher than the same post at a different one. My husband and I live very comfortably on just my salary (mainscale teacher), travel in every holiday, and still save at least twice what we used to be able to save in the UK on two salaries. If my husband had a job then we'd be able to save his entire salary plus some of mine.
    Ditto for all of the Malaysia benefits mentioned above! My only down side is that I'd like to turn down the temperature and humidity, please.

frodo_magic likes this.
  20. escapefromtexas

escapefromtexas New commenter

Iftar Buffets, Dahab, the fresh fish sections in the UAE