1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what would be your best advice

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by coxsey, Dec 22, 2011.

1. hi everyone,

So I'm new to all of this teaching malarky etc. Im fresh from my world travels and I am now ready and excited about starting my career in the teaching sector....."smiley face"

So I want to teach Art & Design at FE level, ideally I would love to start a course this coming September, maybe some of you are reading this and thinking "yeah!... good luck" etc, but that's just me, ever the optimist etc.

I just have a few questions really regarding the route I should take, that would be must beneficial to the learning and progression of my teaching career. All kind of knowledge and advice would be greatly, greatly respected.

So I have been looking around for route to take to get into teaching FE level, and I have found 2, both of which sound ideal for what I want to do. The first one is GTP and the other if the Post Compulsory at IOE. Now this is were my questions start, so please bare with me... "smiley face"

with the GTP you get an actual unqualified teaching allowance correct? which is great, because we all know, ever little helps ETC. However! I don't actually have my A-C in GCSE Maths & English " i was one of those slightly annoying kids at school, don't you just love them!" but! I am enrolling onto a GCSE course in January threw to June. However if I am right, with the GTP you can only apply IF you already have your GCSE qualifications, is this correct? so really, I would be out of luck wouldn't I for applying for this course for September?.... Unless if! I decided to start to the course in September 2012... but then again that would take up a lot of thinking.... do I want to stay in the Yorkshire land any longer then September.... ummm, interesting!

Then theirs the Post Compulsory, which to be completely honest, sounds absolutely perfect! " hence the exclamation marks". Id like to ideally apply for this course either just before NY or at the very, very start of the NY. This course sounds like everything I want from a course, and again it would lead me into being able to teach at FE level. However! I was wondering, what is the funding like for this particular course, does anybody happen to know? because I really want to studying at IOE, and also, do you people think that I would be able to have a part time job along side this course? because if theirs no funding IE: like when we were all at University, so many moons ago, and you cant really have a PT job, how on earth is one suppose to do this course? this is all merely speculation however. So I may well be completely wrong. But it's just something I would like to be answered, by everyone and anyone.

OK! well that's all from me folks, look forward to all of your replies : )

Nikki

2. hi everyone,

So I'm new to all of this teaching malarky etc. Im fresh from my world travels and I am now ready and excited about starting my career in the teaching sector....."smiley face"

So I want to teach Art & Design at FE level, ideally I would love to start a course this coming September, maybe some of you are reading this and thinking "yeah!... good luck" etc, but that's just me, ever the optimist etc.

I just have a few questions really regarding the route I should take, that would be must beneficial to the learning and progression of my teaching career. All kind of knowledge and advice would be greatly, greatly respected.

So I have been looking around for route to take to get into teaching FE level, and I have found 2, both of which sound ideal for what I want to do. The first one is GTP and the other if the Post Compulsory at IOE. Now this is were my questions start, so please bare with me... "smiley face"

with the GTP you get an actual unqualified teaching allowance correct? which is great, because we all know, ever little helps ETC. However! I don't actually have my A-C in GCSE Maths & English " i was one of those slightly annoying kids at school, don't you just love them!" but! I am enrolling onto a GCSE course in January threw to June. However if I am right, with the GTP you can only apply IF you already have your GCSE qualifications, is this correct? so really, I would be out of luck wouldn't I for applying for this course for September?.... Unless if! I decided to start to the course in September 2012... but then again that would take up a lot of thinking.... do I want to stay in the Yorkshire land any longer then September.... ummm, interesting!

Then theirs the Post Compulsory, which to be completely honest, sounds absolutely perfect! " hence the exclamation marks". Id like to ideally apply for this course either just before NY or at the very, very start of the NY. This course sounds like everything I want from a course, and again it would lead me into being able to teach at FE level. However! I was wondering, what is the funding like for this particular course, does anybody happen to know? because I really want to studying at IOE, and also, do you people think that I would be able to have a part time job along side this course? because if theirs no funding IE: like when we were all at University, so many moons ago, and you cant really have a PT job, how on earth is one suppose to do this course? this is all merely speculation however. So I may well be completely wrong. But it's just something I would like to be answered, by everyone and anyone.

OK! well that's all from me folks, look forward to all of your replies : )

Nikki

3. i did my pc pgce at the IOE we were all working lecturers indeed you cannot do it without teaching. we all had student loans for fees. its only one day or one evening a week