1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would be the response in your school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by airy, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Depends on whether it's known or rumoured. As a classroom teacher, I would be expected to report any pupil I thought was on drugs through child protection systems. If I thought a pupil was clearly under the influence, I'd send them out of class straight away and refer the matter to our Guidance team. Dunno what they would do - it would depend on what the kids admitted and if he or she was in possession - but I would imagine parents would be involved.

2. Confiscation.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

And a swift re-sell?

4. and a swift, partial re-sell.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I want to live in your house [​IMG]

6. I live in a space ship not a house.

7. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Automatic expulsion at my daughters' school [​IMG]
    This happened recently with 3 or so boys who had stuff on them at school. I recall Mr Tarte feeling rather sorry for them as they were in one of the big exam years, Standard Grades or Highers (this in Scotland). We did wonder where else they'd go. Would a state school be obliged to take them?
    Is this the kind of situation you meant in your OP, Eva?

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Well, if your space ship ever passes over my submarine, feel free to drop in (literally through the periscope) for a cuppa. [​IMG]
    *Hm, that sounds really rude . . . . . again!! *

9. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

10. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Yes that's the sort of thing I had in mind.
    In my opinion, if a pupil is suspected to be on drugs whilst at school, the parents should be contacted immediately to come and collect the child and take them home.
    If found in possession of drugs, I believe that the police should be called in addition to the pupil being given a lengthy fixed term exclusion, if not permanent expulsion.

11. It is a matter of months since a group of Y9s were caught smoking weed on the school premises. They were not even sent home for the rest of the day because [stage whisper] there were ishooz.
    And yet another otherwise delightful pupil whose face didn't fit was on a FT exclusion for being found (well, showing it off) with weed in his pockets. And a previous pupil was banged up against the wall and cuffed because at last the school copper caught him with it on him having suspected him of dealing for his Dad for some time.
    There doesn't appear to be much in the way of consistency. It seems to depend on how good your team of apologists are.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Circa 1976 a friend of mine attempted his mock 'A' Level History whilst high on amphetamines, and was hauled up before The Beak. Parents were contacted and that was about it - he stayed in school.

Fast Forward to 2005, I find three Y11 students sharing a spliff behind a hedge on the playing field at breaktime, and gather from their reaction that they think they're in deep poo, unlike when you catch them with a ciggie. I take the hastily discarded spliff (complete with roach) to the Child Protection Deputy and leave it with them. A day or so later I'm told that they'd 'sent it for analysis' and could find no evidence of it containing an illegal substance. Personally I think that story was utter b*llocks, invented to avoid the embarrassment of chucking out three basically OK kids in their exam year and b*ggering up the 5 A*-C pass rate.

Can't say I was that bothered really, one of the kids was a friend of my eldest, and the Deputy was someone I had a lot of respect for, but consistency it most certainly was not.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My experience, at my current school and others, is that the carpet is lifted and it is brushed underneath, quickly and quietly.

14. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

And there was me believing Bauble lived in a bar......

15. A piece of video showing a Year 10 girl giving 'hand relief' was passed around on students' mobile phones. The girl was immediately suspended, pending referral to Gosvenors, then permanently excluded. The recipient, a Year 11 boy, although not clearly identified from the film, was just about to go on study leave, so I am not sure what happened to him. Years earlier, a couple of 6th form students were caught smoking weed, easily found by the distinctive odour. Like the OP account, on investigation the spliff was found to contain 'dried sage', the ash from which was then swept under the carpet. Bright boys, you see!

16. flamejoy

flamejoy New commenter

This was a real situation in a school I worked in 7yrs ago. A rough inner London school, I had one particular student who came into school always late and always stinking of weed, red eyes etc. As he lived in a drug using home (I guess it would be labelled as a 'crack house' now-a-days), keeping him in school was one of the strategies we implemented as expulsion would have meant him being exposed to even more drug use. He was eventually taken into care. We didn't have the luxury of expelling drug using kids and we had a few known to us. The only alternative for them would be the streets and more drug use, crime.......