1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

What would be the consequence of -----------

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hovis, Mar 6, 2011.

1. A teacher who has had a TA planning, delivering assessing and evaluating regular craft & art activity as part of their PPA for 2.5 years , when the TA has not had any extra money for it and when the head finds out is told You should not be doing that!! Can the TA go to the union over this???

2. A teacher who has had a TA planning, delivering assessing and evaluating regular craft & art activity as part of their PPA for 2.5 years , when the TA has not had any extra money for it and when the head finds out is told You should not be doing that!! Can the TA go to the union over this???

3. Why does your head teacher not know that this has been taking place? TAs in our school do plan, deliver, assess and evaluate, as it is an ongoing process that sometimes happens minute by minute, but the teacher is ultimately responsible for what's going on in the class, and the head for the school.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I find it very odd that a head doesn't know who is covering PPA time in school.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hello Hovis
    Im not quite clear what question you are asking re the union?
    The head should know what is going on unless they are new to the school or been on long term sick. If the TA is doing this out of 'good will' then it probably isnt in their contract? I presume it was their choice to do this without any extra pay
    The Head can decide to deploy their TAs how they wish so Im not clear how the TA ight wish to involve the union.
    Unless Im being especially obtuse today, nd Im sure you will enlighten me if tis is the case.

6. the point is the TA has been asked to provide direct activty sheets , plans and evaluation during PPA cover, it is not in her contract and she has been forced into a corner more and more by a demanding teacher. We are due to undergo Single status and because the ta is involved in ppa she assumed that she may be looking at a grade 3 but has been told no, because officaially she was not employed to cover PPA, So can she approach her union for having to do something that she was not employed for and has not recieved payment for , as covering PPA time for a teacher is rewarded with more pay for NN on nursery plus or for HLTAs. She will now not gain the grade she was expecting because in this case the class teacher and line manager have had her working outside her remit. And quiet frankly all the talk of Goodwill should be banned - good will does not put fuel in a car or shoes on a childs feet or help pay for college fees!! ( sorry )

7. Msz

No the point is that the head is responsible for providing PPA time for his/her staff and not the teacher.

8. So it is quite alright for low paid ta's to do extra work not in their job description for nothing; no money or recognition

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

You are quite right about the goodwill, I just wasnt clear if this was the case, now you have explained, I am beginning to get the picture.
    What Im still not clear about is how teacher/manager are getting her to work outside her remit when it is the head that decides if she can cover PPA or not. So who has actually told her to cover PPA? The head should be aware of who covers which class and when.
    She can certainly take union advice, but initially I would try to sort it out with the Head and teacher, which would mean her not doing the PPA cover and stating why she will not do it. Then if this fails, you might go next to the union or support.

10. Msz

No of course not

11. I think there are two issues here. One is about covering PPA time. I think a level 3 TA can cover PPA time as long as the ratios are OK (assuming ths is early years). The other thing is the planning. The teacher shoud be planning the work for the PPA time, as the TA should be working under his/her direction.

12. There is a HLTA /NNEB /PPA Teacher& the Ta who cover 2 x classes for PPA at the same time, and the class teacher has involved the TA by putting pressure on her to take responsibility for half a class during the PPA time so that the areas can be covered, she then requested that she would like her to do an activity which she must plan herself , deliver, assess and evaluate herself during the PPA time. the TA thought it must have been cleared with Ht but obviously not so for 2.5 years she has worked outside her remit and she was hopefull of being graded 3 as they said if you do PPA cover you will eligible for grade 3 , only to be told no. she is very upset. But I have noticed in our dept that TA's are being requested to do do planning etc and really I personally see that as a CT role and not an assistant (however qualified they are). The fact is there is a teacher who is paid on a salray for the job they do and a TA who is paid by the hour and term time only and the bulk of work is coming our way .

13. can't be 100% Thumbie but I actually thought that was part of the introduction of PPA that teachers got their 10% and should NOT be expected to plan for that time. If not I stood my ground last year on an issue that I am now glad the HT didn't look into too carefully!!!!!!

14. Msz

but that then raises the issue that teachers should NOT be planning for their PPA time

15. but our problem really is that the teacher cannot insist that the Ta does the planning etc unless she is to be paid for doing so, it is not fair!!She has 3 others who are being paid for the pleasure!!

16. Msz

Really the problem isn't yours. It is up to the head. She must ensure the teacher has PPA time and to see there is cover.

17. Even if the TA is doing an activity with half the class, she is not responsible as the teacher is, and therefore, an increase in pay is not an entitlement. From the staff you list, the teacher and HLTA are the ones who should be leading the session, and if for the teacher that means overseeing what everyone else is doing, with the TAs running focus activities, then so be it. If the TA is being asked to record what she has done, then that in my book is OK too. BUT, hourly paid staff should be able to do this in their hourly paid time. Maybe she can do this in story time or similar? BUT (sorry, another one), in a shop job, staff start their shift at 9am and finish at 5.30pm. Done. In a school, it's a little different.
    At the end of the day, the class teacher should be planning or have an idea of what goes on in his/her classroom even in PPA time, or at least setting objectives/outcomes for the PPA staff to deliver. The PPA teacher is responsible for the afternoon, with the class teacher responsible for the overall picture, and the head for the school.

18. It sounds to me like the TA does need someone knowledgeable to advise her - and probably from outside of her school context.

19. thanks for all the different views we will wait and see

20. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

The class teacher should not be having to plan for work done in PPA time.
    If I read the posts correctly there is another teacher in the class covering the CTs PPA time. It is the responsibility of this teacher to plan for the activities which take place when (s)he is covering the class. The PPA cover-teacher's salary should be calculated as an exact pro-rate of a full-time equivalent so includes a proportion of directed time which is meant to incude planning time (don't let's get side-tracked into whether it is possible to do the job in directed time alone!!). If the PPA teacher is on a contract, rather than being paid as a supply teacher, they are also entitled to PPA time.
    Obviously one would hope that the CT and PPA cover teacher liaise about who is covering what.