1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would be needed to take up woodturning? (cross post from Personal)

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by bonxie, Aug 2, 2020.

1. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

We did a bit of woodturning on holiday last year and our youngest (young adult) would like to take it up as a hobby. Their birthday is coming up so I'm planning on getting them a lathe.

I know almost nothing about woodturning so had a look around online. I'm thinking of buying a Record Power DML250 cast iron mini lathe 10in.

Anyone know if this is a good make and a suitable type of lathe to buy? To begin with, they would probably making small items like bowls but may wish to go onto larger items as they progress with their new hobby.

What other tools etc would be needed? Where do woodturners buy the wood they use? Any advice from woodturners would be greatly appreciated.

2. OwerAuld

OwerAuld Occasional commenter

If they have only done a bit of wood turning on holiday I would suggest buying them a place on a night school wood turning course.

bonxie likes this.
  3. Reddead_B

Reddead_B New commenter

I am not sure what model would suit your needs

But I would check for tools on ebay and so on. Just Google...Wood Turning set..

Get timber at your local builders yard..Most yards deliver but at a price.

Check gumtree for timber also ..

I imagine beginners would start with simply turning square lengths into round and so on..

Wood needs prepared for the lathe before placed on the machine.. For example, I would use a wood plane to take edges off before turning the piece round.. So, what I am trying to say is that you may need other tools and machinery...

Any timber orderd from a builders yard would need cut to size.. Can you do this at home?

Hope this helps a bit

bonxie likes this.
  4. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Thank you both for your advice. An evening class is a great idea but unfortunately there are none in woodturning around here. We do have some woodworking tools at home. It's a lathe and any tools specific to woodturning that I need to source.

5. cosybear

cosybear New commenter

bonxie likes this.
  6. KAPT

KAPT New commenter

Get in touch with your local wood turning group - they are very helpful and knowledgeable. I would also get in touch with Axminster about tools and courses that they run.

bonxie likes this.
  7. mango56

mango56 New commenter

I have been teaching DT and engineering so my experience is with metal lathes but some schools do have
    wood lathes so research into this.. i know Waingels in Reading have one please check it out.. i was not shown it so very frustrating!

8. leverarch1970

leverarch1970 New commenter

Recommend 'Axminster Tools' for their courses...but they will push their products, naturally, ...But you get a discount on tools/equipment if you do the course, which I thoroughly enjoyed...except had to get a shed first to house the lathe...but still have not got a lathe yet...have a shed though....