1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would be 'good Year 6 results' at this time of year?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Gruffalo99, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Just out of interest, what are people's views about what would consititute good/respectable results for a Y6 cohort at this time of the year (end of Autumn term)?
    What percentage would you expect at different level thresholds (3B, 3A, 4 etc) for each core subject, and English and Maths combined?
    And what sort of progress would you consider to be 'realistic' (in relation to however your school goes about doing things) between now and SATS?

2. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Using 2 sublevels progress a year as a guide and with only really 1 term to go you would be expecting 3A/4C depending on their KS1 results.

3. I'm really looking for cohort percentages. And not so much the standard measures of national expectation, but the sort of thing that might only be known from a school's internal tracking?
    So, for example, what percentage of the Y6 cohort might different people expect to be at 3A (and therefore 1 sub level from a four) at this time in the year?
    And what about 3b? Or 4c?
    What is typical? And what do people consider to be 'good' for results at this time of year?
    (With the proviso that it might also help to know what sort of school we are talking about).
    Thanks.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

[​IMG]

6. Well, that's a tricky one. I'm going to suggest that it would depend entirely on the cohort themselves. How well are your cohort meeting your expectations? Surely that is a better guide than any arbitrary figure assigned by someone that has never even met them, let alone taught them?

7. When this cohort was Year 5 you presumably had to make predictions as to what level they would achieve at the end of KS2. So now you need to be looking at how close the children are to the predictions you made. A 'respectable result' will be that your children are on track to meet their targets.
    You could also look at it from the perspective of how many / what % of your present year 6 is within a sublevel or 2 of making 2 levels progress since their KS1 level.
    If most of your children were 2C at KS1 then you are expecting to see current levels of 3B or 3A, but if your children were level 3 at KS1 then current level 3B/3A is not really impressive.
    Hope this helps.

8. <u>I am 11 years old yet my scores suggest i am at a very good position academically, i have been 6 months in year 6, we did some sats and i got the following scores
    </u>
    Maths 5c
    Science 5b
    english 5a
    Tell me what you think about my scores are they good ? if so tell me why

9. Is 5B for science good? is 5a good for english? is 5c good for maths? they are my scores my techer says is AMAZING tell me your opinion

10. I GOT 5A IN MATHS AND SCIENCE WHAT A GENIOUS I AM, I AM THE ULTIMATE BEING, I GOT MORE THAN LAST TIME IN YOUR FACES

11. I have got a pupil who was at the beginig of year 6 a 4b in maths (averege) 4c in science and 3a in writing after 4 months , we did practice sats and he got a 5c for maths, 5b for science and 5c for writing, isint this such an amazing progress in such a short time ? so would this be good to enter year 7?

12. I have got a pupil who was at the beginig of year 6 a 4b in maths
    (averege) 4c in science and 3a in writing after 4 months , we did
    practice sats and he got a 5c for maths, 5b for science and 5c for
    writing, isint this such an amazing progress in such a short time ? so
    would this be good to enter year 7?

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

I'm sure you are very proud of your results, which you have been posting all over the Primary forum too, but you need to ask your OWN teacher about your levels, not us!