1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would be a uk standard SEN support for ADHD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by bellyflop, Mar 16, 2011.

1. I work in an international school and my 6 yr old son has been diagnosed with ADHD. I am fighting to get him the right support to meet his needs. To help, can anyone tell me what support a 6 yr old statemented ADHD boy would recieve in the UK?
    Thanks, Stressed out parent

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi
    In our primary school all ADHD and other statemented children get 1-1 support for the hours that the statement requests. This is worked out on a band system, e.g each child is given a banding and this states the hours, for example the child I work with is band D and autistic this is full time 1-1 support 26.4 hours. Hope this helps a little.

3. Thank you, this helps a lot. The school want to remove him to a special unit! We are in touch with a pediatrician and considering medication as a last resort, but the 1:1 support I believe in his class, is what is needed!

4. Am I right in thinking you mean what would be typical support for a child with ADHD in the UK, rather than standard? The support would depend on what the child's needs were.
    ADHD
    is a *exclusion* diagnosis, which means it's a label for the child's
    symptoms but we don't know what causes it - it's likely that there are
    several different causes.
    Each child is different, so one child with ADHD might cope with specific strategies in the classroom and no one-to-one support; another might not cope with a mainstream setting at all and might need one-to-one support the whole time they are at school.
    The content of a child's statement is determined by the resources available to a named educational setting; one school might have the resources to cope - another might not. The statement is supposed to fill in the gap, if you like. If the school named in the statement says it can't cope with the child even with the resources named in the statement, then some hard negotiating will need to be done.