1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What will you do if you don't find a job for September?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Vanadesse, May 31, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Just wondering what people's back up plans are if they don't manage to find a job for September or if you even have one?

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Just wondering what people's back up plans are if they don't manage to find a job for September or if you even have one?

3. SarahReed

SarahReed New commenter

Supply work- I think I must be the only person on my course who doesn't have a job yet. Or go through an agency to get work and do induction through two or three schools.

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Only way I can afford to take supply work because isn't guaranteed, is if I move back in with my parents, which really isn't an option I want to even consider!

5. SarahReed

SarahReed New commenter

Not ideal I know- just work in a school and apply for jobs. If you want to message me for support, feel free. I feel so down knowing that everyone else has jobs

6. I know its almost a step backwards but you could always look for cover supervisor roles.
    If not, have a look for children's charities that do outreach work in schools. These are often paid roles. I did this before my ITT year and found that it gives you the opportunity to get seen in different schools- getting your foot in the door for when those teaching vacancies come up!

7. After beginning to get worried I have just been offered a job teaching maths at the school I trained in. ( I trained as a chemistry/physics teacher). Bit random but its a job for my NQT!

8. My only option to stay working in schools if I don't get a full time teaching job is to go and move in with my parents and do supply/cover supervisor work etc. And I cannot bear the thought of having to do that, so it won't happen.

So I'm starting to weigh up my options- au pairing abroad is looking like one choice, the other is to get as many hours as I can in a supermarket or somethin until I get a teaching job, because I don't want to change career as such.

9. It's really hard I know but try and hang in there, there's still time... As someone else said, more jobs should be coming up now as it's the deadline for teacher's handing their notice in. Some people on my course have been offered direct supply work from their placement schools so that's worth thinking about but fingers crossed for you that it won't come to that and you'll find a great school to complete your NQT year... stay positive :)

10. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm trying to keep my head up. I've not given up all hope, I know that there's still time yet, I'm just now trying to consider my options if I don't find something.

I could go abroad, I would easily find a job in certain areas because of links I've made but as I'm in a relationship and my partner wouldn't be able to come with me, this isn't really an ideal option.

My degree isn't in teaching and I've got other experience job wise and so that opens certain doors but I feel like if I take my foot out of the children's area of work, it's going to be very hard to get back into it.

Like lots of you said, there's still time yet. I've got 15 applications to do just for next week! So I won't panic, not just yet anyway.

11. EmmaJ18

EmmaJ18 New commenter

Hi, just thought I'd (hopefully) offer some encouragement. I finished uni last year, and despite getting a first class degree and outstanding graded placement did not manage to get a job for September. I worked at a nursery until I got a teaching job in Jan. There is hope! Just fill your time as productively as you can doing something (educational) that you could talk about in an interview!