1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What will you buy with your £3000 match funding for phonics?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cf5mhc, Apr 11, 2011.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

'You asked me how the Activity Sheet notion could possibly be suitable for the 'slow-to-learn' role-play pupil during the training event and I held up the sheet and I asked you what content and skill-need was on that sheet that was not fit-for-purpose
    It is sad that you do not feel able to continue any form of dialogue - but I was pleased that you asked questions during the training event - and it does not worry me that you have raised your concerns since.'
    Just wanted to make one thing clear, I actually did not ask you a question on the day, as more than one other teacher beat me to it, and you couldn't answer any of the questions satisfactorily then either. You obviously have made an assumption I am someone else.
    I don't mind continuing dialogue, and as you say it is good sometimes to have a difference of opinion. I was just honestly giving my opinion with regards to the original post, and I have to be really honest to say I would not recommend to anyone purchasing the resources you have written for OUP. What you offer is a 'one size fits all', has been produced many times before and thus it offers nothing new, and in fact is outdated.
    On the day I was staggered by the number of times you referred to 'effective teaching' (and so does your handout of the powerpoint presentation) with not one mention of effective learning; As well as your reference to curly 'c' and your suggestion that if dyslexic learners face the front and sit to the left of the board, they will be fine. !!! ?
    I was interested to see you describe yourself as a 'phonics expert' on your flyer, I just wondered where this 'title' came from, was it self imposed?

2. 'Teaching' phonics with a worksheet and using this for assessment? Where have the last 20 years of educational research and medical insight about the workings of the learning brain gone?

3. Matched funding for Phonics: There are more providers on the list now, many offering more of a training and practical on-going support package as part of the deal rather than a pack.

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Well said, and exactly my point!