1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What will you be doing for Talk like a Pirate day?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TES_Community, Aug 23, 2012.

1. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

It's Talk like a Pirate day on September 19. Have you got any creative swashbuckling teaching ideas for the day? We've got lots of pirate themed resources on TES but we'd like to hear about what you plan to do....

Check out the pirate resources that have already been shared on TES Resources.

2. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I don't do pirates.....why would I want to promote thieving and killing ?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18548810

3. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Schrodingers Vet I teach lots of the traditional stories (Goldilocks is also a good one to discuss rights and wrongs of trespass etc Three Billy Goats Gruff,bullying etc)
    I am not 'avoiding' I am choosing to do other more suitable and relevant things with my class.There are so many special'days ' in the year you have to pick and choose the ones most relevant to you.

4. Pirates are far from being fantasy figures. Perhaps we should have a 'sweat like a terrorist day'.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

What did the pirate say when he trapped his wooden leg in the freezer?

shiver me timbers....

6. 'Stagger like a drunk day'?

7. Msz

How did the pirate feel after drinking rum all night?

groggy

8. Msz

Did you hear about the pirate who took up boxing?

He had a great left hook...

9. When there's so much serious stuff to do, this appears ridiculously trivial. OK, do it on Comic Relief day or for Children in Need, but honestly......There are plenty of wonderful children's books on various themes that we don't need to have a whole day for, we just enjoy them. And it's all so cultural. What if you have Somali kids in your class?

10. I've been to a number of storytelling events and everyone tells stories in a Tony Hancock yokel voice.

I told a story in my normal accent and afterwards someone told me, "you shouldn't do rural accents because you're not very good at them."

11. Msz

Then you explain that in some parts of the world piracy is still a huge problem and unlike the pirates in stories some of these pirates are very dangerous ...

12. 'Patronise like a teacher day'?

13. Msz

Why does it take pirates so long to learn the alphabet?

Because they can spend years at C!

14. Yes, we'll explain that piracy is a big problem in some parts of the world but today we're choosing to celebrate it

15. Msz

So you would never read Peter Pan or Treasure Island with a class?

16. Neither of those celebrate piracy.

17. Msz

So Captain Hook and his crew don't show piracy as fun?

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Apologies all round:

*to the anti-pirate day people for perhaps misleading you into thinking that I agreed with you.
    *to the pro-pirate day people for making you think I disapproved of you.

I just couldn't believe that such a day really existed. I'm writing this very shamefacedly as someone who lived, dreamed and, yes, suffered for Peter Pan. I still have the dent in my skull to show where I tried to fly - off a table and straight into hospital, with a serious concussion and buckets of blurrrrddd....
    I blame my dad [​IMG]

19. Peter Pan isn't a pirate, is he.

20. Msz

No but Captain Hook and Smee and the crew are pirates
    and in Treasure Island Billy Bones, Blind Pew, Captain Flint, Long John Silver and Ben Gunn are Pirates and the whole plot revolves around the serch for pirate treasure