1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What will this 'new normal' be like?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Jul 9, 2020.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

During the last 3 years I have visited a care home to see a couple of people who are permanent residents one has since passed away the other is in an almost vegetative state. If you look into the eyes of such inmates, you might see something like "I have lived my whole 'able bodied life' working for a 'warden', what the hell have I just lived through?"

My answer to them if they had asked, would be that they have not lived very much 'but' they have survived long enough to become a prisoner.

Back to the point in question, from birth we are bombarded with:
    The economic necessity to work and achieve
    Climate catastrophe
    Economic Armageddon
    BLM
    etc....

Now we are possibly entering post COUGH 19, what will your 'new normal' be?

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It is here already, creeping up on us since 2010. The new Tory version of hell. Readers be dismissive if you want, but it would not be much better even if Covid 19 had not happened. Most people have no clue about what the Tories did from the day "Call me Dave" was elected by popular vote and went to work on everything they could legislate for. It isn't just the excreta that has hit the fan, it is the entire contents of the sewage works. Unless of course (and why would you even be looking at this?) you are sitting in your ivory tower with the helicopter on the roof and your billions "safely" salted away in one of the Tory's tax havens that is the one thing we actually have that is "world beating".

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Mass unemployment a botched brexit, a government that seems incapable of planning for anything.

Not a pleasant prospect

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The worlds economic system was heading for upheaval way before Cough 19. The inherent problems of our economy along with most of the rest of the world culminating in the 2008/9 debacle were not addressed by dodgy Dave or indeed bungler Brown his predecessor. Indeed if you view that period through a neutral political lens you will see that it was Labour and Bliar that got us into the mess.
    I was hoping for a more personal take on the new normal. Personally I take the term 'new normal' as an affront to peoples intelligence. My old normal will to the best of my ability remain my normal. If I change anything from that position, it will have to be by force.
    Having said that, I read yesterday that the BofE was looking at negative interest rates, around -3%, so, it looks like savers are to be punished for Cough 19.

Kandahar likes this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Warmer

You have decided that Black Lives Matter is to be seen as similar to the Climate Emergency and Economic Armageddon, and has been bombarding us since birth...

Probably not.

catbefriender likes this.
  6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

They are both supported by lies and distortions.
    Agreed.

Kandahar likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

8. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Since Birth?

I thought you were older than me?

The economic necessity to work and achieve- yes- I think that's been there since we gave up on hunting and gathering, and even then we had to do enough of it to survive.

Climate catastrophe- That's only become a thing as the evidence built up- I'd guess 40 years or so?

Economic Armageddon- that's the flip side to stopping hunting and gathering- our lifestyles depend on a surplus being produced.

BLM- really? You think that's been around since you or I were born? I expect that if there were two different stabbing incidents today the white boy would get the headlines, the black one would be a side note. BLM is pointing out that usually they are seen as mattering less or not at all compared to white ones- sorry if you'd failed to understand that.

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The people who have lost their jobs or businesses would disagree.

JL48, lexus300 and Kandahar like this.
  10. Scintillant

[​IMG]

JL48 likes this.
  11. Scintillant

Are you actually claiming it won't be warmer?

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

20% chance of breaching 1.5 degrees C in any one year to 2024, but 70% chance of breaching it in some month until 2024..
    Remember USS Nautilus 1958? First crossing of the North Pole under the ice? May not be possible anymore in a few years.

13. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

Sustainability.

Our whole way of life has been geared to increasing consumption and stretching people and resources to breaking point. When you have an economy that can be devastated in just a few months, you need to remake it into something that is robust enough to withstand that and (looking to our plausible future), much longer.

Ecologically the same approach is just as important and it must underpin the above. Our abuse of natural resources has turned our planet into a fireball.

Will it happen now? No, the vested interests of 'getting back to normal' will condemn us to a cycle of similar events. Only after two or three more, whether through this virus, another health catastrophe or increasing climate catastrophe will the impact on an unsustainable economic system be remade into something better.

Kandahar likes this.
  14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Win win for those of living up north where we have the heating on all year.

racroesus and lexus300 like this.
  15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We all have a birth! The question/conversation was general IE., across the ages.
    When someone was born has little to do with the question unless you want to be obtuse?
    Climate evidence has built up over more than a couple of centuries.
    The 40 years or so you mention, is when data tampering started so as to fit the desired alarmist narrative.
    With economic necessity/Armageddon, as usual you fail to see or recognize context IE., the relationship between them and the question.
    As for your BLM racist blather, try to link BLM to the question instead of trying to re-orientate things to your own twisted narrative. I do understand that you often have difficulties with context and all to frequently in differentiating between what is being discussed with your insightful:rolleyes: commentaries.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Certainly long term planning should be where we move to, whether we will or not is up for grabs IMO.
    We do need to pollute less however, your fireball comment is symptomatic of the current and largely false climate hysteria. IMO we should be striving to adapt to climate change because we certainly will not stop climate change.
    Globalism is unsustainable, it presupposes uniform goodwill and cooperation which will lead us to some equality based living standard which will be dictated by quasi government organizations like but not exclusively the Bilderberg group, who intend that the world will form a consensus around free market Western capitalism and its interests around the globe. I think we all know how well that has worked so far?

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I see, all that science and trillions spent, leads us to a "20% chance of something" or "70% chance of something else".
    There is a 100% chance that climate change will continue and that is for free:)

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We are in a natural warming cycle following a mini ice-age so we will probably warm a little then cool a little, then warm a little, then cool a little............The previous cycles are observable in the ice cores.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Nope. It was Thatcher who started it in 1979. I'll admit Blair did nothing to reverse any Tory disasters, but then he was a Tory in actuality. Brown did not have time to do anything once the economy went mammaries up. Then "Call me Dave" came in and boom, grab what you can for yourself and Tory donors and head for the hills leaving everything screwed up.