1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What will the salary be?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Happy Chappy, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Can anyone offer any advice please? I am currently looking at a job for a pastoral manager- salary range stated as point 6- 20858-25432 pro rata. The post is for 37 hours a week 39 weeks a year.
    I was currently working this out by dividing salary by 52 weeks but wasn't sure as am not sure if annnual salary is already expected to be only 39 weeks as it is work in a school. Does anyone know? Therefore as it is a fulltime post is there any need to work out the pro rata?!
    Also am considering making the change from teacher to pastral manager- are there any particular qualifications that I will need, or is life experience sufficient. I have taught for nearly 5 years.
    Thank you for your help.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You divide by 52 and multiply by 43 (39 weeks in school + entitlement to 4 weeks holiday pay).
    I make that an actual annual salary of £17248 to £21030. The figures might be slightly reduced as the LA f/t week is normally 37.5 hours and the post says 37 hours per week.
    These part-year posts are always quoted with the whole year equivalent salary.
    The actual salary paid annually is divided into 12 equal monthly payments, thus disallowing you from claiming JSA in what are effectively 9 unpaid, unemployed weeks per year.

3. Thanks for letting me know, it has been very useful. Looking at the job description it looks like I will have more to do than a normal teaching post- and less money for it.
    Thanks again.