1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What will Ofsted ask me?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by manic28, Jan 15, 2012.

1. manic28

manic28 New commenter

We are being inspected later this week. I'm a class teacher with no TLRs or major responsibility. Will I be asked about my class and progress / provision for SEN/FSM/EAL children? Will I be asked about school policies and procedures? If so, how long do these 'chats' last? First Ofsted inspection. Yikes.

2. manic28

manic28 New commenter

We are being inspected later this week. I'm a class teacher with no TLRs or major responsibility. Will I be asked about my class and progress / provision for SEN/FSM/EAL children? Will I be asked about school policies and procedures? If so, how long do these 'chats' last? First Ofsted inspection. Yikes.

3. schlairtay

schlairtay New commenter

I was worried about getting asked about all these things but didn't get asked anything like that. The chat was mainly about the lesson he was observing and what the children has done prior to this. Not sure if I was just lucky though!! Just be prepared but don't worry too much about it x

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's my understanding that the new framework will focus in more detail than previously on 'vulnerable' groups, such as the ones you've mentioned (plus some others - white FSM boys are coming under close scrutiny at the moment), so you may well be asked about this. It might be a conversation that stays up at management level, but it may be that you're asked so be ready to talk about it.
    I've only ever been quizzed about subject leadership stuff before, but it might be that there's more such chats. Having said that, if they're upping the number of observations, I don't see how they'd have time to have lots of chats.

5. I have now been through 11 Ofsteds!! (3 last year) and have never been asked about anything other than my lesson.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That would be normal!

They'll watch you teach and ask you about it later. That's it.

7. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

I heard that they would be taking children out of the classroom and listen to them read and do maths with them! Is that not right?

8. manic28

manic28 New commenter

They have already told us they are going to do that. Y6 and Y2 focus here and checking against levels in school.

I feel reassured! Thanks. Day 1 tomorrow. I'll report back!

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

There's been no mention of maths, but the new framework definitely suggests they'll be hearing children read.
    Reading between the lines, it looks like they'll focus on KS1, with some focus on poor readers in Y6 (also Y7&8 in secondary), but don't quote me on that.
    Which, if it's true, is great, because we all know how well a reader with no confidence is going to perform when reading to an officious looking stranger in a suit, don't we?

10. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

11. deeley

deeley New commenter

Will hear yr 3/4 children read, particularly looking at phonics
    Will interview children, complete with their books for each subject
    Will expect you to know who is in all the categories eg fsm sen
    And what your issues/low attaining groups are, and
    What youre doing in lessons to address it, though obviously will
    Investigate that and challenge it at higher level also

12. Hello. My school went through the new inspection last week and we were one of, if not, the first in
    my local authority. I dont want to scare you or sound unsupportive but it was alot lot more intense than
    I thought. However maybe this was because we were one of the first.
    Basically during my first hour long observation (were a small school) they asked about levels and wanted to see
    evidence of how I came to that judgement.They also asked lots of questions about where I was going next and I had to show how I came to that. I had to show planning and assessment notes etc to show them the 'learning path'. They looked at marked books and wanted to see progress trackers all of which I had to talk about.

During my lesson they read with three random children and spoke to countless others about school life eg school rules, cyber bullying and displays. They also spoke to children about phonics. They did lots of walking around with groups of children who they had identified as vulnerable to look at corridor displays etc.

Any more questions dont hesitate to ask!

13. Im year 1 by the way

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Cyber bullying in Year 1?
    Really?

15. Yep they also asked this the childrenabout this. They asked them what different types of bullying there are and how to deal with it etc. They asked them if teachers had taught them what to do if it happened to them. They also wanted to know if we, as a school, cover 'knife gang culture' and wanted to see schemes of work/planning etc... which we didnt have !!

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm staggered. Have a training session on the new framework after school tomorrow, being run by a local inspector - will certainly be asking about this.

17. For goodness sake. Just because a child says they've not heard of something it doesn't mean you've not tried your darn best to teach it! If every child heard, understood and retained everything we taught them they would all be L6 by the end of KS2.
    Why on earth do Ofsted inspectors ask children such daft questions and then believe them as gospel?
    Knife gang culture though? No, I dont think thats relevant to my 5 year olds thanks. They've plenty of time to learn about how horrific the world is without it eating into their important literacy and numeracy time.

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm not convinced this isn't a wind-up.

19. The Northern Ireland perspective. The inspectorate give 10mins feedback to each teacher - very supportive comments focussing on the positive and a few areas for development. Co-ordinators will be asked more indepth questions. As numeracy co-ordinator I was interviewed for 45mins!!!
    In class the inspectors will ask a group of Year 3 (P4) and Year 6 (P7) children to read. They will also give a number of resources and asked to use them in a particular maths situation.
    A group of Year 5 pupils are selected to take about child protection and how safe they feel in school and who to talk to about problems.

20. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

But how do we stand on the planning and assessment trail? I write my assessment notes in a booklet, and in our school, there is no set format for short term planning. Our head only wants to see medium term planning, although it does have to be very detailed. It's fair to say i am now ******** bricks.