1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What were your teachers' nicknames?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Sep 1, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Not that I ever used them, of course! Too much of a goody two shoes. [​IMG]
    Two I can remember are 'Battleaxe Buchan' and 'Father Green' (pere vert [​IMG]).
    Any that stick in your mind?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Maths teacher called 'Shree', he counted with a lisp - One, Two, Shree
    Another Maths teacher called Ma Broon - total alkie - p!ssed on the job all the time - quite incredible.
    Eekie Beakie - poor, bullied physics teacher who had a psycho for a boss and then all us kids were horrible to him too (he had a big nose of course)
    That's all I can remember for now.

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Woah, kibosh. Those are pretty brutal names!!
    I assume of course that you were never ruthless enough to use them?! [​IMG]

4. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Stretch - very tall headmaster
    billy blinks - maths teacher with a nervous tic
    Serge - old style english teacher, called all the boys by their surname, and the girls were all Miss followed by their Christian name
    Nazi in nylons - particularly officious librarian
    Penfold - very shortsighted science teacher whoc spent much of the lesson wondering why his key wasn't working in the blu-tac filled lock, and going to get maintenance [​IMG] poor guy.
    Slack Alice - never quite sure where this came from as a nickname for an art teacher with little or no control over her class, but essentially a sweet person.
    That's it for now, and leaves me, or at least my school, easily identifiable :)

5. impis

impis New commenter

Our deputy head was called Miss McClaughlin - so we all called her 'tick tock' behind her back.

6. My brother's school all referred to their HT as "Thrasher" and no prizes for guessing why. He sings in the same choir as my brother and has asked him to never publicly repeat his nickname.
    We had Jiffy (the Broomstick Man - you have to be over 50 to get the reference) the 6ft 7" thin teacher; Trouty (Miss Doughty - very big lips), Mr Die-Soon (Dyson, but it was an expression of hope) and Sister Mister because I swear it was a man under that habit.

7. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I can't remember having any nicknames for my teachers.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You assume correctly. As the daughter of teacher parents I was a quiet, self-absorbed loner during secondary school. I was a boring, bookworm.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There was a deputy called Basher (ex boxer), the Head was known as Jack. One teacher was called 'Ma' because she signed all her reports with her name followed by 'MA' - bad mistake there. There were others called Piggy, F*nny, Doc, and so on.

One school I worked in had a teacher who's surname was Kerr - the boys called him Wayne (think southern accent).

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Originated by 70s TV entertainer Larry Grayson.

11. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

A home economics teacher was nicknamed 'Electric Ferret' because of her voice. There was a languages teacher at our school who got nicknamed Freddie as he did have a look of Freddie Mercury.

Bizarrely though, we had a music teacher called Mr Dance, a woodwork teacher called Mr Block and a cookery teacher called Mrs Cook.

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We had an English teacher we called Fat Toad because, well, he looked like a fat toad! Obviously no-one called him this to his face!
    I can't remember any other nicknames though. Will have to think about it.

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In an all girl's school when growing up we had the most unimaginative name of 'Fred' for our male German teacher!
    When teaching myself I know I acquired the nickname of 'Hitler' (German connection of course and I was quite established and therefore considered 'strict'.) Then later when I returned on supply I made a teaching wardrobe with different green materials(so everything mixed and matched) & became known as 'The Green Dragon'!

14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I don't remember having any nicknames for teachers when I was at school but my students came up with a nickname for me. I have it as my user name. I like it! [​IMG]
    (The number is nothing whatever to do with my age!)

15. We had two science teachers called Mr. Smith, to distinguish between the gruff physics teacher became Butch and the ineffective chemist became Bubbles.
    Our home ec teacher was Granny Gumption.
    Not really sure why.
    Do kids still give teachers nick name?, I'm not aware of any at my school

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Late 60s early 70s Boys grammar. All male staff

I can remember
    'Beefy' Bullock
    'Nobby' Clark
    'Basher' Corless (Played for England at Rugby Union)
    'Neddy' Bacon (sounded like Neddy Seagoon)
    'Pecker' Starling (also called 'Joe' by the older kids)
    'Peg leg' Williams
    'Taffy' Hingley
    'Ringo' Pinney
    'Brenda' Briscoe
    'Toad' Cameron
    'Pancho' Pearson
    'Archie' Moore
    'Slug' Dolman
    'Soapy' Wainwright (also sometimes called 'w@nker')
    'Stone' Rollstone
    'Daddy' Cunningham
    'Yogi' Bealt
    There was one we called 'Paddy' but I can't recall his surname.
    There were many more but names escape me at the moment.

17. We had a student teacher nicknamed Indy because some of the more deluded girls in my class thought he looked like Harrison Ford. He didn't. We were 14, it was an all girls' school, he was young and male...
    My friends and I called one of the teachers at the boys' school either Hugh Darling (because he directed the joint musical the 2 years we did it) or Hughie Rock God TM (because he played in a band and clearly thought he was IT).
    We were far too nice for nicknames, so mainly they were shortenings of their actual name; Dr H... became Doc and Mr Mac... became, well, Mr Mac. In fact I have no idea what his surname was, because he was only there for a year before I left, and we all just called him Mr Mac.

18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A fairly posh grammar school Late 60's early 70's - we called the Head 'The Pont', I don't know why. Incidentally he died while still the head and they had the funeral at school.
    We had a 'Basher' too, it must have been a popular nickname.
    'Ebby' - his initials were EBW
    'Nelly' -
    'Droop'
    'Squelch' - The Reverend Welch R.E. teacher
    'Jock' - art teacher wore a kilt on Fridays.

There must have been others but I can't remember them.

19. At our grammar school in the 70s we had -
    "piggy" Smith (a slightly plump English teacher),
    Tramp (deputy head called Mr Walker),
    Ma Bra (needlework teacher who looked about double her age and who we reckoned didn't wear a bra)
    docker (a physics teacher called Mr Noble)
    I am sure there were more but I can't remember them at the moment.

20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

My dad was educated in a Jesuit school in the 1930s and their nicknaming was cruel in the extreme. They got a new Head who was recovering from a stroke and within 30 minutes of him starting he was named Isaiah, because one eye's 'eigher than the other!