1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What were your favourite childhood toys?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Seems a good time to ask this, what with it still being so close to Christmas.
    As a part 70s/80s kid, my top 3 were as follows:
    - my Sindy house, taller than me, on 3 storeys, with a wee wind up/down lift. The icing on the cake was when I got a cooker to go in the kitchen, with cooking noises.
    - my Speak and Spell. That robotic, American accent! I loved that toy and will never forget it.
    - my Barbie motorhome.

I was also extremely fond of my Fashion Wheel, Wonderwoman and Aunt Sally dolls, and my Peekachoo (sp?) which was a monkey thing holding a banana. I will never forget my first 'Ken' doll and all my friends wanting to have a look down his trousers!!
    New toys didn't come along all that often in our house - they were limited to Christmas time and were much loved and appreciated. I think that's why I can still remember them so clearly and with such fondness. I hope my own children will have favourites that stand out in their memories but they do possess more than I did, albeit not ridiculously so, and their toys don't seem quite so 'iconic'.
    Which toys really 'made' your childhood and stand out from all the rest in your memory?

2. Seems a good time to ask this, what with it still being so close to Christmas.
    As a part 70s/80s kid, my top 3 were as follows:
    - my Sindy house, taller than me, on 3 storeys, with a wee wind up/down lift. The icing on the cake was when I got a cooker to go in the kitchen, with cooking noises.
    - my Speak and Spell. That robotic, American accent! I loved that toy and will never forget it.
    - my Barbie motorhome.

I was also extremely fond of my Fashion Wheel, Wonderwoman and Aunt Sally dolls, and my Peekachoo (sp?) which was a monkey thing holding a banana. I will never forget my first 'Ken' doll and all my friends wanting to have a look down his trousers!!
    New toys didn't come along all that often in our house - they were limited to Christmas time and were much loved and appreciated. I think that's why I can still remember them so clearly and with such fondness. I hope my own children will have favourites that stand out in their memories but they do possess more than I did, albeit not ridiculously so, and their toys don't seem quite so 'iconic'.
    Which toys really 'made' your childhood and stand out from all the rest in your memory?

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Spirograph, Meccano, Lego and my Sindy horse.
    No Sindy, just the horse.
    I really should have been a boy... [​IMG]

4. I was a bookworm - and when not reading I was outdoors.
    I have very, very fond memories of the homemade stuff I received though - my Grandad built me a house for my Sindy doll (I only had one!) and a bed for her and a stable for the horse (the ones from the 70s which did not have bendy legs or saddles or proper hair but just a plastic moulded mane thingie), and Grandma sewd all the clothes and curtains and bed linen and my Mum knitted me clothes for my "big" doll (I only had one of those too!). I remember one night coming downstairs at silly o'clock as I couldn't sleep as I was a bit poorly and Mum hurriedly hiding her knitting - bless.
    I still have the bed linen that Grandma made for my Sindy doll - my daughter now has it for her Barbie dollS and she knows how old it is and who made it and she cherishes it like a wee treasure.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh and my Ted. Still have him!
    And not forgetting the amazing Rolf Harris Stylophone (which I also still have). You name that tune, I'll play it. [​IMG]

6. Oh, and I spent many happy hours with Spirograph, too!
    And we didn't have Lego - we had these straw things you stuck together to make big...shapes.
    And I had lots of marbles.
    And I liked to play jacks.

7. Yes, I still have mine too. A right ugly thing from the 60s but I so love him.
    I hardly had any toys (cue the violins) but actually - none of us actually had many toys back then!

8. I loved my playdough factory - my mother didn't, as most of the playdough ended up trodden into the dining carpet. Also was a Sindy fan, and used to marry her to my brother's Action Man on a regular basis until my sister decided to practise her hairdressing skills on poor Sindy....ah, happy childhood days...

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I know! Poor little souls that we were. [​IMG]
    I LOVED playing Jacks and elastics (muckle long piece of what was similar to knicker elastic, with a girl at each end and one in the middle doing complicated twiddly things with the elastic with her feet).
    And two bally with... two tennis balls.

10. I remember Spirograph too! I'm pretty sure you can still get it, you know.

11. Are you my twin sister?

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

So you're the one they gave away!!! [​IMG]

13. My dolls. They were my babies.
    And card games - my brothers and I played endless card games with forfeits instead of prizes e.g. the winner gets to force the others to do a vile thing. Eating one of my father's horrible cold potatoes from the fridge (don't ask) was one, drinking the vinegar from the pickle jar, putting your hand in the toilet......

14. I confess - I am that changeling!

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I am so tempted - I was slightly obsessed with it for a good long while.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

We knew 'elastics' by a different name: Chinese. Lots of elastic bands tied together?. Oh the joy. Loved it.
    Also: skipping, meccano. leggo, and I'm assuming the spirograph mentioned is what I remember as being the marked circles of plastic with which you drew complex symmetrical patterns in different coloured ink?
    For my 3rd Birthday my dad made me a dolls house. I loved it and so did all of my friends. The amount of rainy days spent making the furniture and furnishings for my two barbie dolls and their wonderful life in this dolls house.
    Rest of the time, outdoors was the 'big toy': climbing trees, building huts, rafts, cycling, skateboarding, sledging etc.

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

LOL! [​IMG]

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I want to be a kid again. [​IMG]

19. Yes - we played lots of card games (still do!)
    And lots of paper games - battleships, town country river, etc.
    And the most "modern, high tec" thing we possessed was that old Mastermind game - remember it? You had little pins you stuck in holes and had to work out what the other one had in what sequence behind the mega chic ...plastic little wall?
    And we played a lot of Ludo...and Scrabble.
    And when we got bored, we were told "You are boring then - get outside and out of my face".
    In fact - I wasn't really allowed inside the house during school holidays, unless it was bucketing down and woe me if I asked Mum "what shall I do?"
    There was a coal fire to scrub and potatoes to peel if I dared mention I was bored...

20. You CAN still get it - bought it for my kids and I...ermmm, play with it a lot.