1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What were your best / worst end of term presents?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cakeshop, Jul 19, 2010.

1. I am fairly new to this, but my best so far would be a tie-break between a very nice card written by a parent saying what big impact I'd had on her child and how I'd improved her work for the better. Or the £65 of John Lewis vouchers! Worst (but still very touching) would be the Christmas bear ornament. I would be far happier to get a 'thank you, you've done a good job' though!

2. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

I appreciate very much that I am incredibly lucky, and have received many fantastic gifts, cards and kind words over the years (apart from the lemon scented shoe sachets!! What were those parents saying about my feet??) and it it standard practise for the parents to club together to buy vouchers of one type or another.

However, I faced a dilemma this year as my child attends my school and there have been numerous issues with her class teacher, many of which remain unresolved. In the end, we parents made a small donation as a token of thanks from the children, but felt it would be hypocritical to be overly generous. Others may feel we were hypocritical by doing anything, but I think we would all agree that it wouldn't be appropriate to involve the children in our disagreements.

Hey ho, what's done is done. Let's hope her next class are luckier than her last!!

3. Combined with your "I've binned another load of **** on the way out tonight" comment, I actually feel quite angry at your attitude. If you are able to loathe a whole class of children, you are in the wrong job. If they know you'll be glad to see the back of them, you have done them a great disservice, and quite possibly affected their happiness, progress and attitude to school, whch may well last long beyond the 40 weeks they have been unfortunate enough to be lumbered with you.
    Financially, things are very tight in our house at the moment. At the end of the year, my child just took a small flowering pot plant in. I would be genuinely upset if I thought the teacher didn't appreciate it, left it on a shelf, or worse, binned it. My child picked it out, from very limited funds and therefore limited choice.
    That £4 would have filled my child's lunchbox for a week. Or it would have paid her bus ticket for a week so she could have had a ride to school rather than walk the six mile round trip each day. Or it would have put just enough petrol in the car so I could have taken her to the beach for the day.
    Thankfully, as our situation came through redundancy (as a teacher - so it can happen to anyone, including you), there is light at the end of the tunnel in September. Many people live to those means every week of their life. If a child gives you a present, whether it comes from a pound shop or not, please try and think what that child may have sacrificed to buy it for you.
    If you genuinely don't want any gifts, tell them and their parents very openly - and mean it. Tell them you can't accept gifts . You do get paid to do your job after all. How about you donate all your gifts to the people in school who don't get anything? The TAs, the office, the volunteers? That is, all your gifts, not just the ones you don't want.

4. I do agree that it sounds ungrateful when we complain about the presents they are given. However, I think it's important to establish the difference between a gift that's naff (and possibly unwanted) but given in the right spirit, and a present that's naff and you know has been given no thought or consideration at all - i.e. from the parent who got to the end of the supermarket shop, remembered they really 'ought' to buy the teacher something and hurriedly found the smallest box of chocs possible, preferably on BOGOF. These are the sort of presents that are harder to fully appreciate. I honestly don't in any way expect presents, but I do enjoy receiving them; being shown appreciation in the form of a present is lovely. At the opposite end, I also enjoy giving presents to my children's teachers and showing my appreciation of them in this way. It's not just about appreciating that they do their job, which of course they are paid for, but for all the 'over and above' care, time and effort that I know they put into doing it.
    I love the idea of children getting together to buy an Oxfam Unwrapped present. How could I plant this idea in my pupils' minds without it sounding like I'm expecting a gift?!

5. my most generous present was a 100 pound marks and spencers voucher, my best present was a letter from a parent and then from her child to tell me how much they appreciate what i have done for them etc... my most unusual (wierd!) present was abottle of shampoo....,nothing special, just a bottle of timotei!!

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

IT WASN'T ME WHO BINNED THE ****!! IT WAS LARDYLADY!!!! HOW MANY TIMES???

7. Knowing that i was in love with wayne rooney, one year 8 managed to scan in a picture of me from the year photograph, superimpose it on coleen rooneys body in a photo next to wayne and put it in a frame!
    That will stay on my desk forever (even though i have had a few strange looks and been called numeous names by the kis!)
    Iv had lovely things from year 11's - gift vouchers for dorothy perkins, wine, chocolates, perfume, makeup)
    its best when they write a lovely long message in a card and then cry when they leave their final lesson :)

8. The best, well vouchers have been lovely, a nice handbag, homemade cake - but the gift to top all others was a photoframe with a newspaper article that a child wrote about me, that looked totally authentic, saying won a teaching award - 'The Queen of Teachers'. The article listed my talents(!) and how I always had a smile etc! it even had a pic of me! I cried so much and it's still in my living room now, a year on! I don't think anything will ever beat that. I do also love cards that the children have written (year6) with messages that I know were not dictated to them by their parents! I always keep all of those!

9. My nicest present was a freshly baked loaf of bread and a jar of marmite arranged in a basket. I had made a remark once that I liked marmite sandwiches. [​IMG]

10. poet

poet New commenter

This year I had the most challenging person - never mind child -i've ever met to deal with in my class. We spent all year butting heads and I could write a book on this kid and the ways in which he fought back with every inch of his being. Despite some pretty dramatic moments, In the end we were on good terms and as our 6's left the day before everyone else in the school, we parted ways with a hug and a 'bye miss.'
    I was mightily chuffed at that so imagine my surprise to come in the next day and be asked - did you see x? he was looking for you. In my room, wrapped up in a black plastic bag was a bottle of wine and on a scrunched up note that had been picked out of the bin and written on in a pen that hardly worked was written - From x, thanks miss. I promptly burst into tears.
    Made it even more special when he cam back AGAIN in the afternoon *I stress again it was the first day of his holidays* to check i'd got it, spent ages telling me how he'd picked it out and got his brother to pay and did i like it (yes) had i drunk it yet (no) and would i have preferred one of his mum's bottles as he thought he could probably have taken on and saved himself some money (smile) When we said goodbye again at the door he gave me a big hug and then looked at me really intensely - what is it? I asked. Just waiting to see if i can make you cry again miss - and with that he ran off.
    Love that kid. Best gift ever.