1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What were your best / worst end of term presents?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cakeshop, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Obviously, the main reason we are all in teaching is the fact that we get lots of presents at the end of term - so what were your best and worst this year?

2. I've only had one so far! ( still two more days to go tho') a rather nice bookmark with "Best Teacher" on it ( probably because I'm always losing my place in the class reader!)

3. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

I prefer cards/notes/pictures that children have made more than anything. Don't like shop bought cards from chn who I know have been made to by parents.

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Will let you know tomorrow, when term ends. I have dropped enough hints along the lines of "I hope it's bottle-shaped", but, since I have loathed my class this year, I am not expecting a huge pile of gifts. I think they know I'll be glad to see the back of them.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

One of the oddest I ever had was a packet of Happy Shopper Jaffa Cakes. I honestly thought I was dreaming.

6. In my first two years of teaching - both Y3 - I got given a size 22 top (I'm a 10/12) - when I looked slightly bemused at the girl in question she looked at me and said - I hope I got the right size - age 22? - so at least her heart was in the right place (I was about 28 at the time and quite chuffed). The following year in a different school I got given a pack of self help books - not too bad until I got them out to look at (in front of the class) and realised one was the Karma Sutra!!!! I haven't had any as good as those since!

7. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

I used to teach in an inner city primary where teacher presents were usually purchased from the 99p shop in the high street opposite. Having received one spangly plaster cat ornament too many the staff decided, collectively, to create a "special shelf" in the staff room for all the end-of-year gifts which held great sentimental value but which induced hives and vomiting in anyone with a modicum of taste. The kids loved it when their teacher cooed, "ooooh, that's so lovely, thank you, I'm going to keep it on the Special Shelf" and I have to say that, collectively, the array of day-glo 3D pictures, plastic flowers, little resin models of kittens holding hearts and, memorably, a clear plastic toilet seat with dolphins suspended in it, really brightened up the staffroom.
    I like presents I can eat (chocolate), drink (wine), burn (candles) plant (plants!!!) or read (cards/letters). And nice cards and letters come top every time. Anything large and/or ornamental and I inwardly curse the lack of a Special Shelf....

8. My worst was a ladybird with a human face and the mother insisted on being there with her child when I opened it because she just knew I would be delighted with it. She was moving her child to another school because she had fallen out with all the parents and staff at our school, but wanted me to know that it wasn't anything personal. The best is any special card or message, but after the trials of moving classes this week, a bottle of anything would be much appreciated on Friday.

9. Ive not had anything bizarre but I had to giggle on monday.
    Clearing out my cupboards and shelves, came across a little apple that says "best teacher" on it. It was sweet at the time, but has no function other than standing up like a little ornament so it had been just left in the drawer. So Im being ruthless clearing things out, into the bin it goes amongst other things - the kids will never notice, I thought.
    2 minutes later. "Misssss Somebody put this in the bin! Isnt it lucky I found it?"
    [​IMG]
    Back in the draw it is then.

10. My favourites have been;
    - A Radley workbag
    Flowers delivered by local florists
    Cards with personal messages

11. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Last year I got a turkey baster! I usually get a few bottles of wine, which the TA ends up getting as I don't drink. I really wish that people wouldn't waste their money on all that 'Best Teacher' ****. I usually dump most of the pound shop tat in the school bins as I leave on the last day, and give the best of the rest to the charity shop. The best present I ever had was a little booklet all about me which a child had made. I've still got it years later.

12. princess77

princess77 New commenter

I've had lots of pressies this year, chocs, flowers and cards etc. My best pressies are the handmade cards with personal messages which show real appreciation. The only things I do not like are blingy bits of jewellery but I'm sure I will find a place for them to go to. I got quite a lot of Best Teacher bits. They should really say best teacher for now!

13. poet

poet New commenter

I once got a tin of salted cashews.
    Ate them though![​IMG]

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

A card with a photo of the whole family, horrible child, horrible sister and doting parents, so I wouldnt forget them!

15. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Good dart board.

16. One of my girls spent the last two weeks of term telling me how she couldn't wait to give me the present she'd bought because she was so thrilled with it. She kept catching my eye and giggling and generally getting very excited. I have to say I was starting to get quite excited myself...bottle of champagne, theatre tickets, diamond necklace? The day came and she produced the much anticipated present. The box was somewhat smaller than I'd imagined, but they do say good things come in small packages so I didn't let that bother me too much. When I opened it, however, I found it very hard to feign delight. It was a bath cube. Not even a box of bath cubes, just the one. And I can't even use bath cubes... [​IMG]

17. I always feel guilty about parents buying me presents when its my job but i have had some lovely things this year, my favourites have been a bouquet of sunflowers, purfume, next necklace and earings set and a moulton brown bath set. An odd one has been a framed photo of a child with poem, very thoughtful but just imagine if a work friend came to your house and theres a framed picture of a pupil among your family photos ha!! [​IMG]

18. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

The recession has bit this year, no boxes of Thorntons, just a few assorted Maltesers and other bagged scoffables. More hand-made cards, too. A few 'special' ornaments, which, like Lardylady, I shall drop off at the charity shop on the way home. Some nice plants, and flowers from gardens. (Or they could have swiped them from the local park on the way to school...)

Lardylady, I'm not sure WHAT I would think if someone gave me a TURKEY BASTER????

19. So far, a bottle of wine and a 'best teacher' cup. Still, two days to go!

20. I'm always worried that the giver might spot them if I take them to the local charity shop. I always take such gifts to the charity shop where my parents live, 100 miles away!