1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What went welll? Even better if . . . Getting the best out of evaluations

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by chocoholic2007, May 1, 2012.

1. I think the problem with evaluative comments is that the students tend to do just that - evaluate instead of making critical judgements and drawing conclusions about what techniques were used and to what effect. I even read a copy where a student evaluated alive performance and said that one actor should have pretended to be drunk as it would be linked to being depressed and that would have been clear!!! hmmmmmm not quite what we want.
    There are some good writing frames for GCSE, but I also use the exemp[lar material for guidance on how to evaluate and what the difference is between evaluating and describing.
    As you develop your teaching you can encourage deeper answers - I had this tried out on me by someone - what do you think ....(my response) then they just said - ok, why? and kept doing so until I gave a detailed answer!!! very useful, especially when encouraging pupils to progress in your lesson obs........