1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What web-based technologies do you use in your working life?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by cmml100, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Dear all,

I was doing a PGCE in Maths awhile back and ended up doing a PhD in Maths Education. My research is about how has the web influenced the way teachers work and what can be done to make things better. So, my first stage is to survey the web-based tools that teachers are using. I was wondering if anyone can supply a list web sites or tools that they use for school/ teaching related activities?

Since my research is still at its infancy, I have a lot of flexibility in terms of general research direction. If anyone out there have strong opinions or feelings about certain web-based tools, I might be able to include those in my research activities too. So, any ideas are welcomed.

I do look forward to your kind response,
    Mandy

2. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

At KS3 and 4 I tend to use mymaths.
    At KS5 i still use mymaths but have shown clips from Khan academy (article on this on BBC website).

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Geogebra - KS3,4&5 and MEI online resources - upper KS4 and KS5. Both superb.

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Well since you asked!
    My Top >10 Mathematics websites (we also use Autograph and MyMaths at school, the post linked to concentrates on free resources).
    Also see the Top 100 Tools for Learning 2011, published by the Centre for Learning and performance Technologies - I have detailed the tools I personally use in my teaching.

5. This is absolutely amazing. Thank you for posting I shall add in here any useful informative websites and further contact welcomed too. Thanks again.

By the way, to what extent do you use autograph? Have you been to one of the training courses?

6. googolplex

I thought you were after web-based stuff...
    but, since you ask, I use autograph quite alot - always when graphing with any key stage. However, I also use geogebra, since students can make use of this at home.

7. Yes, I forgot to mention that I am interested in Maths Education in general. But of course... funding dictates what I have to do officially --- that being something to do with the web. Personal interest is something much broader than that.

As far as teacher training go, do you think trainee teachers should be taught how to use Autograph? Or do you think it is personal preference whether you use it or not?

8. googolplex

Autograph is that good, and I would guess so extensively available that, yes, I would recommend it's use on an ITT course - 'taught' if that is the right word. It has some foibles - like the fact that to click on multiple objects you have to press shift click and not control click which sets it out of line with microsoft, so it's not completely intuitive.
    I have a couple of books at school published by eastmond publishing which give self-taught guides to autograph, one for teachers, one for students. These are very good.

9. Guish

Guish New commenter

Thanks for the support mate. I set it up since last August 2011. We changed the skins, added a shout box and created the banner over time. Also, we have been creating new boards as per the demand. You need to register yourself if you want access to all resources. You are welcome on the board. The forum is run by me and a form 6 student. I have a few form 6 students who act as moderators too.