1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What was your first ever paid employment?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by davidmu, Jan 7, 2012.

1. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

My first job was working in a furniture warehouse and the first task was to screw "chills" onto heavy headboards so as to support a metal wire frame on which a mattress was supported. I was paid 1s and 8 pence an hour in 1957.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Bloody luxury!

I started off up the chimneys.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Babysitting.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Washing up in a local cafe.... £1.50 an hour. My bus fare to get there was £1.85.

5. After I left school, I got a job as a picture framer. I still have all the scars on my hands from the many glass-related accidents I had. Oh, and from when I shot a wedge (a special type of staple that holds frames together) into my finger.

Happy memories... not really.

6. I was a warehouse person at a missile factory...honest. They fronted as a Chemical Industry who made paints.

7. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Bar work, cleaning halls of residence and working in a meat factory [​IMG] all happened roughly the same time and on and off whilst at college/uni.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i left school at 14 and a half one day and started work the next day,it was the second man on a milk delivery lorry!....6 am start and hard geaft for the great sum then of £3 .7sh. 6d for a 48 hour week!

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Babysitting - if that counts.
    Then I had a job at a TV repair/sales shop. my job was to turn up early and vacuum the place, then get a few things set up for the staff when they came to open up.
    Later, I had what I felt was the best Saturday job <u>ever</u>. I was a shelf-stacker at the library.
    In all cases, when we started 'earning' - even for a Saturday job, our pocket money stopped and we had to pay a portion of our wages to Mum.

10. Working in a theme park operating the rides.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I cleaned an old ladies house every Saturday morning for years, starting at the age of 12. I walked there and walked back (4 mile return journey). I loved it cos her house was full of tins of cakes and sweeties and biscuits [​IMG] Then I got an additional job: after school I helped unload the deliveries for a health food shop; big 50kg sacks of rice, sugar, oats, lentils etc. Probably the reason why my back is now knackered.

12. Checkout chick at supermarket.
    I still have my very first payslip.
    (I really need to get better at throwing stuff away!)

13. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Working in a newsagent's. My soppy parents still get dewy eyed about how I spent my first pay packet: a restaurant meal for them, with me babysitting my younger siblings! [​IMG]
    Bizarrely, the newsagent's (in my hometown at the time) was located near a prison and an oil rig! So I used to have to sort out trashy Page 3 type papers for the prison and serve the rig workers their dirty mags. Yuk! I was all of 15 at the time and very innocent.

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I had a Saturday morning babysitting job for a French lady (hairdresser) and her chef husband. They both worked on Saturday - he all day at a London restaurant, and she until lunchtime, so I had to sit with her three children and the boxer dog. To be honest most of the morning was spent trying to stop the dog from eating the furniture. This was in 1975, and they seemed incredibly glamorous - they had real pasta in tall glass jars in the kitchen, and fancy furniture from Habitat. It was a foreign and exotic land as far as I was concerned.

15. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

As a tea lady - but I can't remember what sort of firm it was - on an industrial estate. It was the BEST job - everyone was so pleased to see me :D That's not happened since :(

Can't get the hang of these smileys

16. After my O-levels I got a job in a sports shop. It paid the grand sum of £24 a week, which my Mum let me keep so I could buy clothes for starting sixth form in September. The first two weeks my feet hurt so much I nearly cried on the bus home. Two major mistakes: trying to find the other glove to the golf glove I was selling, and putting a T-shirt transfer on upside down so it stuck on the hot plate of the transfer machine!

17. Worked in Petrol Station. Got paid in petrol and sold it to my grandad. A gallon an hour.

18. I worked on a farm. One of my jobs was mucking out the pigs first thing . I've shovelled an awful lot of pigsh!t

19. I didn't get that much when I started teaching! I took home &pound;48 a month!

20. I worked at W H Smiths in those fetching emerald green and royal blue uniforms on a Saturday behind the Pen and Calculator counter. I earned £7 a day - like Gargoyle I have my first payslip!

In 1977 calculators were very hi tech and part of the job was to explain how to operate them!,,