1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What was your first dance at your wedding?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dalian Daisy, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Hurrah! I am getting married, at last Mr DD has popped the question!We are in the process of trying to get a venue and my mind is already racing ahead so what was your first dance? We would like to brush up our dance skills so we don't do a trudging shuffle but what to?? Any ideas? My partner did want a fun song like Andy williams- you're just too good to be true but his friend has already done that so can't repeat it!

2. Hurrah! I am getting married, at last Mr DD has popped the question!We are in the process of trying to get a venue and my mind is already racing ahead so what was your first dance? We would like to brush up our dance skills so we don't do a trudging shuffle but what to?? Any ideas? My partner did want a fun song like Andy williams- you're just too good to be true but his friend has already done that so can't repeat it!

3. My wedding is in one years time this saturday, and we are currently trying to come up with our first dance song too. We don't have a special song that we associate with our relationship and it's really difficult! Would be really interested in other peoples choices!

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

why.if its a good idea its worth re-using
    how about a themed dance
    One thing you should do is tell the disco man what YOU want.and not let him dictate.....have some fin ones once the booze flows, unles syouwant the man vianly trying to get folk onto the floor all night and no one doing so lol

5. Are you ready for love by Elton John, but we stole that off a friend. Luckily she wasn't at our wedding to know! It made everyone laugh and was really special. Our first dance was actually at the registry office immediately after the ceremony

6. Awwwww, congrats to the nearly-weds!

It's difficult to choose if you don't have a 'special' song that's significant to you as a couple. I would think it best to go for something old and classic that most folk know, like the Andy Williams song or Al Green's 'Let's Stay Together' (which was mentioned on a similar thread recently). Others that spring to mind include 'On the Street Where you Live' or 'Let There Be Love' (I'm thinking Nat King Cole but I think various artists have covered these songs). These last two wouldn't be any good if you don't like Swing though.

I would pick a type of music you both like (Motown, Pop, Rock, Swing, R & B........) and then spend a bit of time listening to some compilation albums to find something with appropriate lyrics.

Hope this helps & looking forward to hearing the results of your research :)

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The Fugutive's Quick-Step.

8. Forgot to mention that ours was Paul Weller's 'Country', performed by my brother and his band :) We chose it because it reminds us of a midnight beach picnic on our first holiday together and the lyrics are lovely.

To the poster who was worried about doing the School Disco-style shuffle: could you maybe take a couple of dance lessons together so you feel confident on the night?! (This would work especially well if you're dancing to a song with a specific style e.g. Jive, Swing , Big Band etc..)

9. We wanted the music from Deliverance (long story) but the DJ couldn't find it. He then forgot to bring our second choice, Madness - It Must Be Love, so we ended up doing a really camp, over the top bounce around the dancefloor to You To Me Are Everything by The Real Thing. It was a great laugh though. The last wedding I went to had At Mt Most Beautiful by REM which was v romantic and utterly vomit inducing. It's my 9th anniversary today as it happens.

10. It's my 10th anniversary today!! We got married in Kenya, then came back and had a big party for everyone. Our first dance was to Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" - it worked for us!

11. we had Take That - A million love songs, Ugh the shame.

Basically we both love indie music but nothing seemed appropriate at the time/we just couldnt think of anything, so in the end we went with the cheesiest thing we could think of. My husband and I still cringe when we hear that Saxophone solo at the start LOL

What about Iris - by the goo goo dolls?

Enjoy your big day!

H x

12. We had Ronan Keating's - When you say nothing at all, getting civil partnered (!) in 3 1/2 weeks and will be having the same song.

Always loved Shania Twain - Still the one

13. 'Time and Tide' by Basia...If you know it then you'll know the words are lovely.

14. im getting married in 2 years. i want 'time after time' by cyndy lauper..........my fiance needs convincing though

15. I am not getting married yet, but if i marry my boyfriend i know what are first song will be (is that sad!?) It's Queen 'You're my Best Friend' I also like Extreme 'More than Words'

16. The Monty Python classic 'Sit on my face and tell me that you love me'.
    We didn't have a first dance. (can you tell?)

17. we had gorecki by lamb, a gorgeous song ... i celebrated my 2 year anniversary on monday aaah .

18. bnm

bnm

Can't remember, but it was a barn dance so probably involved some doe-si-doeing.

19. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Not that i'm married or will be getting married in the near future...but i quite fancy lonestar's amazed which is a beautiful song!

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

The Power of Love - Jennifer Rush (but that was some time ago, don't know if it would stand the test of time as the marriage didn't!)

;)