1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What was your favourite gift today?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Dec 25, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I received mostly books... one of which, called 'What if?' by Randall Munroe, I've already covered 80 pages of.

The others mostly cover Georgian England... got a project in me noggin.

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We're visiting Ireland at the moment, wandered into a bookstore yesterday and bought loads of books on the 1916 Rising - if anyone is interested, there is a fabulous book called Children of the Rising - looking at the lives of the 40 children under 16 who died during the events of April 1916 - well-written and personally fascinating. (I am not Irish, so find reading about this period interesting).

The What If? book looks interesting, Ian! [Have you ever read the What If historical ones? - I attach a link if anyone is interested - http://mentalfloss.com/article/54464/what-if-19-alternate-histories-imagining-very-different-world ]

I also bought Bill Bryson's latest.

[Note: I buy my own presents as it is easier that way]

IceCreamVanMan and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Happy Christmas everyone.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've read a fair few alternate history books... though alternate history fiction irritates me...

Though 'Man in the High Castle' is a classic and I could be persuaded to give the Amazon show a go.

So far the 'What if?' book is fascinating... and well constructed for me with short chapters [I get a mild sense of achievement from completing a chapter in books]

I got given Mother Tongue by Bryson... read it years ago but wanted to read it again.

Lara mfl 05 and bombaysapphire like this.
  5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

My favourite gift is a beautiful ring from OH. It's a bit of a Marmite ring-love or hate the design. I love it!! Well, to be fair, I chose it!! I also chose my husband so how could any of this be wrong?? :D :D :D

6. Duke of York

The best gift I had today was a complement as we dined on the Christmas dinner I'd cooked. "You really do know how to keep a bird moist, Duke," said my sweetheart's best friend, as we tugged together on the cracker. "I think I'll be coming again."

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Urgh... I have been given... sorry the alcohol got to me... still is haha.

IceCreamVanMan likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

A calendar with pictures of my beautiful grandson for each month. I love it. He's currently standing on his daddy's lap looking at the lights on the Christmas tree. He's just had his first Christmas dinner of turkey, carrot and apple purée. Went down well!

ScotSEN, bombaysapphire and RedQuilt like this.
  9. Dragonlady30

Bless him!!

XXX

foxtail3 likes this.
  10. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

That's NOT the impression you gave last night :D

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Reported for inappropriate innuendo!:rolleyes:;)

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  12. Duke of York

This sounds like an excellent occasion to discuss what constitutes appropriate innuendo. Who wants to start?

13. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Steady now.

14. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Second best present was eau de parfum 'Valentina' by Valentino.

First best is, of course, that husband is still here with me!

Happy Christmas, everyone.

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Indeed that has to be the best present. :)

16. Dragonlady30

**pulls up chair and settles with a big bowl of popcorn!!**

17. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

From my grand-daughters a box of assorted organic and hand made English cheeses, a box of organic oatcakes to eat them with, and a bottle of organic Kentish ale to wash them down. And from my son a pair of "Awesome Dad" socks.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I forgive easily :);)

19. Duke of York

That sounds delightful, Sid. Out of interest, which ale was it and how did you find it?

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

No presents are the best.they are all lovely when given with love and thought!

katycustard likes this.