1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What was your favourite Fairy Tale?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Motherofchikkins, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

We just watched "Into the Woods" last night, and it got me to thinking about Fairy Tales. When I was a kid, i never understood "Once upon a time" I thought it was "Once, up on a time…" and I imagined a land, way up on top of a cliff top or something.

Anyway, I always had a soft spot for Jack and the Beanstalk, tho' I suspect I may have been influenced by The Goodies version!

Do you have a favourite?

sparklepig2002 and kibosh like this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My favourite, well one of them, was Mother Holle, as I love the justice of the 'good girl' and 'bad girl' getting their 'just rewards'!:D

Motherofchikkins likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The Bible...or maybe the Koran....

(Actually both are equal first in my least favourite fairytale!)

Nanook_rubs_it, sabrinakat and kibosh like this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I was captivated by the tale of the little old woman who lived in the vinegar bottle and it obviously had an influence on me because I don't care about the acquisition of material possessions.

Motherofchikkins and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The Three Billy Goats Gruff scared me, but I was fascinated by it too. Trip, trap, trip went their little hooves.

Motherofchikkins, Alf58 and coffeekid like this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They should have been banned!

Motherofchikkins and kibosh like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There's this evil empire right, and these two servants have the plans to the wicked prince's castle. They escape and find a farm boy who is really a magic knight. An older knight gives him his fathers sword and together they try to rescue a princess [who is really the sister of the farm boy but they don't know so they kiss a bit like siblings do]. They fall in with a rogue trader and his carpet that he talks to.

Eventually the farm boy rides his horse along the castle walls and throws a spear into an easily fortified chimney on the castle causing the whole thing to tumble down. So they all get medals.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In the sequel the evil prince is hunting for the farm boy and they've travelled far north to the icy wastes where the prince attacks with mammoths. They all flee after the farm boy and the trader use ropes to trip the mammoths up. The trader gets stuck on islands off the shore while the farm boy meets a munchkin who teaches him the secret ways of magic.

But the farm boy has a vision of the trader and the princess [who is his sister and he kissed] in trouble so he travels to a city held aloft by hot air balloons. The trader is captured by a bounty hunting knight but he tells the princess he loves her in a cool off hand way. The evil prince reveals that he is the farm boys father! This doesn't go down well so to discipline the farm boy the prince chops his hand off saudi style.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Then in the 3rd part the farm boy torments a slug in his garden to rescue the trader. After escaping the slug and a giant tentacled weed, the farm boy goes back to the munchkin who is now dying. Munchkin reveals that the farm boy has a sister... yes the hot princess he was snogging earlier, not creepy at all!

They all travel to the southern forests where the evil prince and his master, the king, are making a new castle. But the princess throws her teddy bears at the prince's soldiers while the farm boy tries to turn the prince good again. He succeeds! Yay! And the prince kills the evil king. They then celebrate with the teddy bears... who might be eating the dead enemy... creepy.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Then they decided it'd be really interesting to go back and explain how the evil prince became evil...

... it turned out it wasn't interesting. And there was a comedy fish.

Motherofchikkins likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So they decided to continue the story with a 7th part ... but to make sure no-one got upset they recycled plot elements from the first two sections which everyone had liked ... and it made lots of money.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

"We are all in this together"

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

'You have nothing to fear but fear itself'

kibosh and lexus300 like this.
  14. sabrinakat

The American Dream

cissy3 likes this.
  15. sabrinakat

@lanokia ..fairy tales for the cynical?

16. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

I loved Hansel and Gretel. The idea of the gingerbread house was probably why. It scared me too, of course, when I realised what the witch was up to.
    The Babes in the Wood was another creepy one.

17. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Haha. I rather like the idea of the American Dream. Better than the Born with a Silver Spoon idea anyway.
    At least the American Dream is inspirational and aspirational. Doesn't Obama personify it?

18. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

star wars, innit.

mine was princess and the pea, back in the day.

19. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It's amazing how far a good pea will go......

sabrinakat likes this.
  20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Especially in snow.

kibosh likes this.