1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What was your cost of living pay increase?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by silenceapres3, Apr 26, 2019.

?

What % cost of living pay rise did you get this year?

1. Below inflation (below 2%)

66.7%
  2. Roughly in line with inflation (roughly 2%)

11.1%
  3. Above inflation (above 2%)

22.2%
  1. silenceapres3

silenceapres3 New commenter

My school has awarded staff between 0.5% and 0.7% pay rise this April, WAY below inflation. What did you get? Their reasoning is that employers' pension contributions are going up from September 2019 but this just doesn't cut it with me.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Governors are in an impossible situation. The pension contribution increase will cost a shedload of money. Fee rises to meet that will result in market resistance. What can they do?
    Your main recourse is to look elsewhere.

needabreak likes this.
  3. silenceapres3

silenceapres3 New commenter

I disagree. Governors have known about this for ages and had time to plan. We are paid jokingly less than the people whose parents we teach and the least our employer can do is maintain our salaries in line with inflation, otherwise a terrible precedent is set, and the independent sector will lose high calibre staff.

51cfys likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We had a zero percent pay rise.
    We are leaving the TPS because of the increase in employer contribution.

I agree schools are strapped for cash, but we are now struggling a little to recruit...wonder why!

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

For Ages? For about 8 months. It's not really "ages" considering what's involved.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The employer increase is over 7 percentage points. Salaries are at least 70 percent of total budget. Fee increase to cover this without a pay increase would therefore be about 5 percent.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

8% increase but will hit the top of the payscale next year, then just 2% or cost of living :eek:

9. caterpillartobutterfly

I can dream...:(

10. 51cfys

51cfys New commenter

I very much agree with your point of view. The government should be more careful in this matter. This is also the problem they are worried about. If he can't get these high-quality employees to get the rewards they deserve, it is a great pressure for the government.
    As an educator, the government should provide me with a relaxed and reasonable educational environment.
    [​IMG]

11. caterpillartobutterfly

In an independent school, the government provides you with nothing at all.

sabrinakat and MrsBridgewater like this.