1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What was the last thing you baked?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Apr 18, 2019.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I rarely make cakes, o/h doesn't have a sweet tooth, but I do bake bread, pizza and scones. So the last thing I baked was a home-made pizza.

bizent, Lara mfl 05 and senlady like this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I made a coffee Victoria sandwich with coffee buttercream for the choir a few weeks ago. it looked a bit dull but tasted delicious. Last time I needed baked goods I bought Danish pastries instead.

bizent, Lara mfl 05 and senlady like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Simnel cake. Just putting the 11 marzipan balls on it right now.

4. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

On Monday I baked, well, supported my 3 boys 11, 8 and 7 to bake and ice an orange cake to have as my birthday cake yesterday. I am just having a slice now with my morning coffee and it is delicious - we need to get a better zester though as we didn't manage much off the grater!

bizent, towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Carrot cake. Just waiting to be iced.

towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You need a Microplane. They are brilliant, they get off all the zest and none of the white underneath in seconds. One of my most useful kitchen gadgets. They're a bit pricey though, I put mine on my Xmas list :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microplane...6&s=gateway&sprefix=microplane,aps,237&sr=8-2

I saw a professional chef demo'ing it to show how good they were at grating garlic and ginger as well, but have never had the courage to try that. I'm convinced I'd never get the smell of garlic off it.

bizent and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Being 'special needs' in the baking department :( I gave up years ago trying to bake. When your children plead for you not to bake and they'll do it instead or buy cake, it's time to give in gracefully.:oops:

8. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Like Rott weiler, I baked a simnel cake yesterday and marzipanned it today, complete with the 11 marzipan balls to represent the disciples. I also made hot cross buns, some of which I've put in the freezer to take out as we want them so that they don't go stale.

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Depends how strict your definition of "bake" is.

Melted chocolate and cormflakes? Easter nests with mini jellies for eggs? In which case today.

10. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Bread....about 4 months ago. I was doing so well baking bread every week but somehow...as the school year has dragged on I have lost my enthusiasm for it. I am sure it will come back again once the long holidays start.

bizent, primarycat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Lotus biscoff cupcakes. One of my Year 11s has requested them for their final lesson. I tested them on friends on Wednesday. They went down well.

bizent, primarycat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Baby Belle's wedding cake
    [​IMG]

13. jules9

jules9 New commenter

Sourdough focaccia for bbq today

A cherry and coconut cake for last weekend. I also have fruit soaking in brandy to make a rich fruit cake for my dads birthday.

I love baking and find it relaxing, especially after a challenging week in school.

14. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Pear sponge for pudding yesterday.

bizent, Lara mfl 05 and primarycat like this.
  15. BelleDuJour

Just baked sticky toffee pudding.

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've said I don't usually do baking- that is sweet baking, however I do savoury dishes and yesterday I baked a quiche.

bizent and bombaysapphire like this.
  17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I baked a rather dense but very tasty wholemeal loaf on thursday.

18. BelleDuJour

Meringues

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Coffee Victoria sandwich for unexpected family visit on Easter day

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Soda bread

bizent, BelleDuJour and Lara mfl 05 like this.