1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What was the last new thing you tried to do?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Oct 13, 2015.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I say "tried" because I've spent the last two weeks trying to develop something I already do. I won't bore you with the sorry details but I don't feel particularly impressed with myself. In fact, I'm thinking it might have been better if I hadn't bothered.
    Still - maybe some good will come out of it somewhere down the line, who knows.
    Have you stepped out of your comfort zone (hate that expression) lately? Do you think it was worth it? If not, are you still glad you at least tried?

solvacrime and monicabilongame like this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Frequently find things to do to make me step out of my comfort zone - some of them mad (bungee jumping off the Europa bridge, springs to mind) - some of them academic (I know, I'll do a course in......) and then wonder how I'm going to use it.

My trouble is not exactly low-boredom threshold so much as always wanting the challenge: "I wonder if I can do that?" (Try it, find I can) "Oh good. Now what can I try?" If I were a cat I'd be the one that chases after the new shiny thing.

solvacrime and coffeekid like this.
  3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Golly, coffeekid, you've really got me wondering. It could be anything from playing te accordion to learning to fly.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Well, I'm learning the piano, but it's not that. It's a painting thing.

solvacrime likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I tried to drive a motorbike.
    I hated every second.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I can relate to the feeling that you describe in your OP. I often feel like that when I set myself a new challenge. The feeling fades if I stick with it.

My current challenge is learning to walk again. Progress is good but I am sure I will have bad days.

7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Nope, nothing for ages. Can't remember the last time I thought "I think I'll try that just because I've never felt like doing it before but feel as if I should do it because it's new." I have learned a couple of things because I thought they'd be useful - the US Highway Code, basic Italian - but only to the point they were usable.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Me neither. Novelty isn't for me. For me it's about wanting to improve myself in certain ways.
    New stuff for usefulness is good.

solvacrime likes this.
  9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I decided to take up basketry a couple of years ago (thoughts of recycling waste card and plastic )
    The results were 'passable', but the techniques were far more complex than I had imagied!

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I started to learn to play the piano last year. Two reasons really. One, I'd always wanted to learn and two, my brother said I'd never bother. Showed him!! :p

I don't practice nearly enough but I'm so enjoying it!! :)

11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Dragonlady - I find it taxes my brain in ways nothing else does. Must be a good thing.

solvacrime and bombaysapphire like this.
  12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I agree. I can't think of anything else where I'm trying to look at 2 things-music and hands, while both hands are doing completely different things!! :eek:
    Occasionally, just occasionally all these tasks are accompanied by recognisable music!! :D

coffeekid likes this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I can't imagine how you play the piano. All those fingers doing different things at the same time!

Duke of York likes this.
  14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It's impossible. I'm pretty rubbish at it.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

learning to cope with a body in which parts of it dont want respond.I am rubbish at being patient.

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I've recently become a school governor, so the courses etc are taxing my brain, but it's good for me to challenge myself once more!

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

do you have to do courses to be a governor?

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A couple of new fishing knots.

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  19. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Faux antique wood staining and graining. Suits my style though - I'm terrible for making mistakes but the techniques are quite forgiving. And investing in a good quality little hand saw has been a revelation.

Roof repairs. Again, a new tool has proved invaluable and given me new confidence - this time a ladder stand off (horns at the top).

20. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

cursive handwriting.