1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What UPS pay point to expect after leadership?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jlo, Jan 15, 2020.

1. jlo

jlo New commenter

Little advice if anyone knows.
    I have been at the same school for many years, currently deputy head. Looking to resign from that post reverting to a class post. I was UPS 3 before DHT role.
    Should I expect to go back to UPS3? Teachers pay and conditions just says UPS but does not specify a point.
    Thankyou.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's because STPCD no longer includes any specific pay points within UPS or MPS. It now only recognises an Upper Pay Range (UPR). Which is why STPCD 2019 para 14.2 c) says re a teacher stepping down from Leadership...

[The school] must pay a teacher on the upper pay range if … the teacher was employed as a member of the leadership group in that school, has continued to be employed at that school without a break in the continuity of their employment, was first appointed as such on or after 1 September 2000, and occupied such a post or posts for an aggregate period of one year or more.
    So if you are on STPCD school can pay you anywhere on UPR subject to anything stated in the school's own Pay Policy.

When you say you are "looking to resign" from DHT but stay in the same school as a classroom teacher, has this been agreed by the head and governors? You are aware that you don't have the right to do that, it's entirely at the school's discretion?

strawbs likes this.