1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What type of questions do you ask???

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Aug 16, 2015.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Watching a TV show and someone ask/made a statement... ' You ask the Why....I ask when...' questions.

So what do you ask.... Who, Where, When, What or Why...

Why is the ....

When is lunch?

Who was it that.....

I think I am more of a Why person, dealing in theory and ideas....

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

What if all I ask are rhetorical questions?

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

The you sir will get the answer

Or to be or not to be....

4. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I think the type of question I ask depends on how much I really want to know the answer!

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My four year old grandson is at the constantly asking 'Why?' stage. Exasperated, I said I think you are just asking Why? for something to say and he said 'No, it's because I don't know things.'. That was me told.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I aske students "Are you wearing that for a bet?" or "Whats happened to your hair?" or more esoteric questions like "Is Andrew Lloyd Webber the ugliest man alive?"

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Lovely. For the last year we have been indundated with "Why?" whilst setting up our toddler group, but towards the end of the year we had some weeks when the 4 year old would tell us lots of facts instead - presumably he is now reaching the stage where he does know things! I'm going to miss his help setting up this year.

8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

My four year old is in the "why/what...?" phase. Today I've had "What does a human lung look like?" completely out of the blue and "Why do people have to die?" and lots and lots of maths questions like "what is 141 add 36?" which is frustrating as she's too young to properly explain how to work it out herself but wants to know the answer regardless. I've started just saying random numbers back because I can't be bothered to keep doing the maths in my head.

On the plus side, if I answer a question to her satisfaction (regardless of whether the answer is accurate or simply made up), I get a "well done mummy, you're right" or "good job mummy, you're getting clever".

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Some questions have no answer like "Why is that a tree?" "Why is he a dog?".

I've had the "Why do people die?" question but then he tried to extract the promise from me that "Granddads don't die". He was actually referring to his 90 year old Great Grandad - what could I say?

He also likes to point to random words in an adult book or newspaper and ask what they say. Today the words were 'fish fingers' and 'turn off the light' and he wanted to know why they were eating fish fingers with the light off.

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

It's a tough one for sure. My nan is very ill at the moment and probably doesn't have long left, which is why I think the question came up. Though my daughter's train of thought led the next question to be "if you die, will I be able to get a puppy?" (because she knows I'm allergic to dogs!). At least she's prepared to look on the bright side I guess.