1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What topics would you teach a KS2 class with years 3-6?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wandering_star, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hi
    Just wondered what topics others teach when they have the whole range of KS2 in one class?
    I'm starting a new job in September and can choose which topics we look at, but would find it really helpful to know what similar classes have explored in other schools.

Many Thanks!

2. Hi
    Just wondered what topics others teach when they have the whole range of KS2 in one class?
    I'm starting a new job in September and can choose which topics we look at, but would find it really helpful to know what similar classes have explored in other schools.

Many Thanks!

3. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

I have the whole of KS2, and we have an over-arching theme for each term. We might have a history theme like the Tudor one term then something more science/geography based like "Drip, drip drip" which was all about water, next term we are doing "Space" the following we are looking at "Africa". We are planning a new series of medium/long term plans as we go, matching in the objectives for the foundation subjects as appropriate... let's hope it all works out over the four year cycle. We aim to teach most of our english through the topic but treat maths/phonics/RE as seperate entities.
    Hope this helps, its good fun having the whole of KS2. The children learn alot from each other as well as me!

4. cheryl13

cheryl13 New commenter

This year i'm doing animals, weather, tudors, africa, titanic and ancient greeks...

half a term on each - i plan over 4 years and fit in the objectives as i go. However i only started at Easter so i have no evidence of this being a great theory!
    We also include literacy as we teach topics through a book based approach.

5. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

We do it very much as those already posting. However, you do need to make sure that over the 4 years you have covered everything you need to. As well coverage you need to ensure progression, so you need to check that you are moving each year group on, especially in things like Art and DT where it's easy to slip into the mistake of not properly diferentiating so that Y6 end up having done an awful lot of one particular skill and none of another. A school in our cluster is recommending the Learning Challenge website as a good way to ensure progression in foundation subjects, but that is something your school would need to subscribe to, not you as an individual.
    I agree that having all KS2 is great fun though, and it does bring the younger ones on very quickly. Enjoy!