1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what to write in maternity leave letter to head teacher

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ezr, Aug 11, 2009.

1. ezr

ezr

Hi,
    I have also put this on pay and conditions forum, but wondered if anyone on here has any advise.
    I'm 23 weeks pregnant and trying to sort everything out for my maternity leave to start at the end of Autumn half term. I have a couple of questions and wondered if anyone could help me.
    Do i have to start maternity leave on a sunday, i thought that i'd read this somewhere, or can i put my start date as 2nd November 2009, which is the first day back after half term?
    Secondly what should i write in the letter to my head teacher? Do i have to tell her when i will come back, or does it just need to be a brief letter telling her when i want to gop on maternity levae? Are there any templates anywhere?

Thanks Emma

2. ezr

ezr

Hi,
    I have also put this on pay and conditions forum, but wondered if anyone on here has any advise.
    I'm 23 weeks pregnant and trying to sort everything out for my maternity leave to start at the end of Autumn half term. I have a couple of questions and wondered if anyone could help me.
    Do i have to start maternity leave on a sunday, i thought that i'd read this somewhere, or can i put my start date as 2nd November 2009, which is the first day back after half term?
    Secondly what should i write in the letter to my head teacher? Do i have to tell her when i will come back, or does it just need to be a brief letter telling her when i want to gop on maternity levae? Are there any templates anywhere?

Thanks Emma

3. This is what I put (For some reason even though I type in paragraphs it never comes out like that on here!!):

Please accept this letter and the attached MATB1 form as official notification of my pregnancy.

As you know the baby is due on 12th September 2009 and so the start of my maternity leave will be 3rd September 2009. I intend to return to work full time on the 12th July 2010. I will inform you of any changes to these intended dates within the given time guides.

Thank you for all your care and support during my pregnancy.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

You don't have to put when you're coming back, just whether you intend to come back or not as that affects your maternity pay. You can start ML on any day of the week.
    In my letter i just stated when I was going to start ML, what date my baby was due, and that I would be returning to school at some point! That's all you need. And you have to include the MATB1 form that the midwife will give you at 25 weeks.

5. Yes I forgot to add that I only gave a rough date for my return because I kept discussing it with my HT and she kept forgetting when I'd said!! If you do give a date of return state that it's provisional - you are entitled to change it and let your head know within a certain amount of days.

6. ezr

ezr

Thank you ladies!

7. Hiya ladies,
    Sorry to gatecrash the post but just a quick question. I am currently 15+2. SLT at school know I'm expecting but I haven't yet put it in writing; I plan to do that as soon as I go back in September. However, I won't have my MAT1 (?) form at the point. Do I have to wait until I get it before putting everything in writing?
    x

8. I replied on pay and conditions too.
    About the MATB1 - you don't have to wait until you get that. You do have to notify your employer formally by the 25th weeks of pregnancy. I didn't get my MATB1 until 28 weeks (didn't need the 25 week appointment, and they don't issue it before 25 weeks) so just put in my letter that it would follow (see post on pay and conditions).
    It's needed to sort out things with the finance people, so can easily wait a bit unless you are going to start mat leave at 29 weeks.