1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to wear?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by ballerina, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I'm after some advice if possible. I've just been appointed my first DH position to start in Sept, I have been invited to their inset next week and was wondering what to wear? This will be the rest of the staff's first impression of me, I do want to come across professional however I don't want to look too smart for just an inset.
    Thank you !

2. I would speak to the Head and ask what people normally wear. On our Inset days most people are casually dressed and as Head I am often in jeans. If however, we are going to an Inset training I expect people to be more smartly dressed. Hope the new job goes well - I am sure that you will soon settle in.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd dress smartly, even if the perceived wisdom is that most/all will be in jeans. You can dress down later - but your first impression to the staff ought to be as business-like as possible.

4. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Yes that is what I was thinking, it is all about first impressions. Smart it is then Thank you both!

5. weezadance1

weezadance1 New commenter

I'd suggest smart too. If you don't want a suit then skirt/trousers and a jacket.

6. I'd go for smart casual - non tailored jacket and linen trousers say - you'll feel really uncomfortable with a suit on if everyone else is in scruffs!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I know it.s corny but ... You never have a second chance to make a first impression. Good luck in everything.

8. weezadance1

weezadance1 New commenter

What did you decide on? Was it the right choice?