1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to wear to Prom??????

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by staceymensforth17, May 14, 2018.

1. staceymensforth17

staceymensforth17 New commenter

Hi there everyone, just new here

So anyway, I'm attending the Year 11 School prom in June and I have no idea what to wear. I've seen a similar thread on here from a few years ago. I know what I wore to my prom (in 2011) and i felt wonderful but now as a TA I have no idea. I'm only 23 so I want to look nice and feel like myself.

2. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Just wear something you feel comfortable in and would usually wear to go out in an evening. Don’t wear a “prom” frock.

I am much older than you, but wore calf length, evening/summer dresses for the past few years. The young teachers wore some lovely short, tight outfits last year. Not trashy just lovely things that young people look good in.

galerider123, bonxie and phlogiston like this.
  3. staceymensforth17

staceymensforth17 New commenter

Thank you so much. I don’t usually wear tight clothing. I prefer something more floaty, plus it’ll hide the two course meal and drinks. I was thinking something with a little sparkle maybe. Something similar to what you could wear to a wedding possibly. I could wear my graduation dress as I’ve only worn it once

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

The same as I'd wear whenever I interact with students and it's not sports day:

A suit and tie.

FrankWolley likes this.
  5. fairypenny

fairypenny Occasional commenter

Not a full on prom dress but just a nice going out dress.

BioEm and bonxie like this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I buy my prom/graduation dresses on ebay. Someone somewhere bought a dress last year for silly money and will sell it on to you for something around £10-15 including postage.

7. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Just remember the event is about the students rather than the adults! Lots of sensible advice above.

install likes this.
  8. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

What galerider said. Remember you are there in a professional capacity. Neat professional clothes that differentiate you from the students.

install likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Be professional - as others have said. Ask your ht what the dress code is for staff :cool:

10. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

I've coped with a full length plain cream skirt, camisole top and lovely embroidered and beaded faintly oriental cream jacket over all. Sort of my "uniform" for it. Not in any way competing with kids ( at my age?) but sort of background supporting the formality of the occasion.