1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to wear to PGCE interview?!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by kircemig, Oct 20, 2008.

1. I have my PGCE interview for Secondary English with Drama at Cambridge on Thursday.

On top of my SERIOUS panicking about everything else, I'm getting worried about what to wear.

I had intended to wear a black skirt suit (well, black knee length suit skirt and black blazer) with a dark pink, pretty top underneath, and smart but not tarty heels (can't go with flats - I'm 4'10 lol!)

I've just been reading through other posts, though, and someone has mentioned wearing an outfit that sounds MUCH more casual than what I plan to wear.

Would I be too overdressed/over-formal in a skirt suit?

Thanks!

2. I have my PGCE interview for Secondary English with Drama at Cambridge on Thursday.

On top of my SERIOUS panicking about everything else, I'm getting worried about what to wear.

I had intended to wear a black skirt suit (well, black knee length suit skirt and black blazer) with a dark pink, pretty top underneath, and smart but not tarty heels (can't go with flats - I'm 4'10 lol!)

I've just been reading through other posts, though, and someone has mentioned wearing an outfit that sounds MUCH more casual than what I plan to wear.

Would I be too overdressed/over-formal in a skirt suit?

Thanks!

3. You will be fine.

I find secondary school staff to be a bit more formally dressed than primary, and what you propose to wear seems very suitable.

Above all, be comfortable, as it may be a long day with lots of waiting around. Feel free to take off your jacket if it gets too warm.

Best of luck on Thursday!

4. Hi Alec

As a male,should I just play save with a suit for my primary PGCE interview?

Thanks,

Matt

5. Or a jacket, trousers (not denim or cord) and tie. Feel free to take off your jacket when it gets warm. I kept mine but took it off for group discussion and presentation (getting animated, you know).

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Secondary head here (who also did PGCE at Cambridge, 28 years ago!).

I don't think you can be too smart for an interview connected with teaching; but you can certainly blow it by looking too casual.

When I have students in for their placements I like to see them in suits, or smart jackets and trousers at least. Men should always wear a tie.

For interview, go as smart as you can afford - but a good dark suit for either gender is well worth it.

7. I have a P.E interview in a couple of weeks and as part of my interview, i have to teach a group of children for 15 minutes so i will have to be in a tracksuit for that but im still planning on attending the rest of my interview in a suit.

8. Hey kircemig,
    Congratulations on getting an interview! That's great.
    I think you should go with that outfit... I know I'm not as experienced as the other posters but I agree smart is definitely the way forward.
    If it helps, I have a pinstripe suit I was planning to wear if I get an interview: I bought it because I love the jacket, but unfortunately it comes with trousers and not a skirt. My other idea is to wear a grey skirt just past the knee with a colourful top and pretty brown cardigan. I love the suit but I'm so used to sports clothes I'm not sure I could pull it off all day, think I'd be wriggling around in it!
    Either way I'm going to wear a colourful top/shirt to break the grey or black up a bit, like you.

9. I don't think you can really be overdressed for a PGCE interview. I'm going to wear shirt, tie and trousers. Not too sure about a suit yet, mainly because I don't have one! I would probably end up taking it off anyway. I have a brown jacket so might wear that.

10. Speaking to a tutor on the course I am applying to (because I'm lucky in that my dad knows her) she said it is important to dress professionally but show that you have a personality. She said that because teaching is a job that involves being creative and innovative that you don't want to look like a boring clone.

So basically professional but not boring.

11. <table class=" style="TABLE-LAYOUT:fixed;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>
    <td class=">

I think you should go in whatever you feel comfortable, but smart - I know that the two don't always go together. As a mentor for ITT trainees I'm involved in the interview process, and have been amazed by some of the outfits worn. Some candidates look as though they've just staggered out of the pub from the previous evening, and make about as much sense when speaking.

On one memorable occasion there was a young lady who arrived very smartly attired in a skirt suit, but who was obviously wearing stockings given that the bumps of her suspenders could be seen through her skirt and the tops of them became visible as her skirt rode up when she sat down. Needless to say we judged this to be inappropriate both for the interview group of other candidates and also the pupils who we'd invited as part of one of the interview tasks, so she had to go and remove them and borrow some tights from another girl (who was obviously well prepared!)

I'm personally impressed by people who've made the effort to wear a suit, and I always feel more comfortable knowing that I've dressed up for the occasion. I always tell candidates to feel free to remove their jackets for activities or when sitting in the interview itself, and if male candidates wish to loosen their ties then that can also make them feel more at ease. Given that you're going to be sitting down for a while, I would suggest that ladies don't wear a skirt that's going to leave unsightly creases across the lap - I think they can spoil the effect of an otherwise smart suit.

Sorry it's a bit of a long winded post but I know it's an issue which comes up over and over, which is understandable because it's an important process -it's not all that long ago since I went through it too.

If there's anything else you need advice on, just ask. Good luck

Sarah x</td></tr></table>

12. This is a bit late now for the original 'poster' but I'll add in my bit as someone who's just had a PGCE interview but has a few years of interviewing and being interviewed in the commercial sector. Dress smartly because it is an interview and this is your chance to look professional and tidy which a skirt or trouser suit or similar instantly sorts for you. I'm female and favour a machine washable trouser suit from Argos which looks more expensive than it actually was. I don't have to worry about tights which aren't comfortable and snag. Putting a striking blouse and necklace with it works well and then a pair of smart but flattish shoes. Finally, make sure your hands and nails are tidy. A small thing but worth doing.

13. I was going to wear, just black trousers and a nice top. Haven't got a suit, never wore a suit and never had a problem getting a job.

Are further education more informal!!
    Saying that I have not got an initerview yet [​IMG]

14. Hey,
    I just had my assessment day and I wore black trousers (didn't fancy wearing a skirt) a white blouse a sleeveless jumper and heels. I originally was worried I wasn't dressed appropriately but when I arrived at the assessment day, I felt the right amount of smart. I would've felt too overdressed in a suit anyway, but especially because none of the other girls were in a suit. Another girl wore similar to me (different coloured blouse and jumper) and others wore a pretty skirt with boots or trousers and nice tops. The lads were in suits or shirts at least. Everyone looked smart and professional but not overdressed and uncomfortable. If you feel comfortable in a suit then wear one but what you suggest seems fine to me.
    Hope this helps.

15. p.s. I got offered a place two days later, so wearing a suit isn't that important. It's more important to be comfortable and feel confident (or at least appear it even if inside you are flustered as anything!)