1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to wear for primary PGCE interview????

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by thinkingofteaching, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I'm not sure what women usually wear for a PGCE interview. The primaries I've volunteered at have been smart casual (as in smart trousers/ nice top) but I wondered if you would be expected to make more of an effort for an interview?
    I was worried that a business suit might be too formal,especially for primary, but I want to avoid looking unprofessional by being too casual.
    Advice appreciated!

2. As long as your don't turn up looking a right scruff then it doesn't really matter. I just wore a smart jumper and trousers for my interview. If you're worried that it'll look too casual then wear a suit.

3. Hi im unsure about this as well, I dont want to look over the top in a suit like im going to a funeral or something i think it would make me feel uncomfortable as well! I think im going to wear smart trousers with a shirt and jumper over the top similar to what I would wear at placement!
    Good luck with your interview by the way!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No-one will ever think you're too well dressed at any interview connected with teaching.
    Some might think you're too casually dressed to be taken seriously, however.
    As an experienced (secondary) head I can tell you that the vast majority of teachers take interviews so seriously that they even put their best suits on when being interviewed for internal posts in the school at which they already teach. Even PE staff - who you see around school in sports wear all day - put on smart suits if they're being interviewed internally for promotions. They also usually change into smart clothes for parents' evenings, I might add.
    Always dress to impress at an interview.

5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Wear something smart but comfortable. I tend to wear suits to interviews, but that is simply for me the easiest option! Make sure if you wear a skirt, that you have spare tights in your bag (As I don't want to be criticised for being sexist - the comment is to both sexes though if you are man and thinking of wearing a skirt, I don't think they are allowed to ask questions relating to gender!). If you have long hair, make sure it is neat and tidy - I tend to tie mine back for interviews. Wear minimal make-up, rather than so much that you should be on the cover of Heat magazine as some Z list celebrity! Hope this helps and Good luck! xx

6. Thanks for the replies- really helpful!!

7. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Just put some old jeans on and clean (ish) T, hoody's fine but keep hood down. Hope that helps.