1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to wear for interview?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Is that andie male or female?

2. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I'm a woman and have an interview this week. I'll be wearing a long smart skirt with a plain black top and a blazer jacket. Smart flat shoes. Just make sure you're comfortable and confident in whatever you are wearing.

3. Thanks, i thought a suit but a friend who has been to quite a few recently said no one had a suit on?! I don't have a suit so will have to go shopping. Might just settle for a skirt / trousers and a smart blouse though as i don't want to get hot a flustered.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Do you have a lightweight jacket or blazer? I usually have a linen jacket, just for the formal interview. Sometimes I've worn it with a summer dress (comfortable to teach in) and sometimes with a matching skirt and blouse.

5. I don't have a lightweight jacket. Don't really have many smart clothes as the school i worked in before was fairly relaxed and casual. Just used to wear black trousers and a smart top or top and cardigan. I just don't want to feel over dressed. When i visited the school the SLT were wearing trousers and shirt but no tie or jacket. I should probably be worrying about the actual interview rather than what i'm wearing!!

6. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Wear your black trousers and find a nice blouse. If it rains, wear your raincoat/jacket and take it off at reception and carry it over your arm. A pair of black trousers and a nice blouse looks great. If, you can, go to Primark or Matalan as they do really nice cheap but Next looking blouses. Avoid Tee-shirts, too casual. If you have an M&S factory outlet near you, try those too. I've just checked Matalan online and they have some smart blouses under a tenner. Hope there's one near you. Good luck for the interview!
    PS Even though the dress code is casual, it well make a good impression if you look smart. Best wishes.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview! Good going . . .
    Read this, right through to the end:
    Interview clothes
    And also read all the Interview advice inside the Welcome thread, plus:
    Safeguarding and Child Protection - the questions, NOT the answers.
    And of course this, near the top of the page:
    * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *<font size="2">We look forward to you starting a new thread called: </font>Dear Theo - I got that job!Best wishes