1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to wear as a male member of staff?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ManxOwl, Jul 11, 2017.

1. ManxOwl

ManxOwl New commenter

I'm starting in Sept as a Learning Support Assistant, with the intention of one day going on to do my PGCE to teach art at secondary.
    I've only done work experience in schools up until now, and need to buy suitable clothes for working in a school both for my LSA role and eventually a teaching position. What is generally considered suitable (and practical) attire for male staff in schools?

Suitable trousers? Chinos? Suit trousers only? Colour restrictions?

Shirts? Long/Short Shelves? Colour restrictions?

Jackets/Suits? What is expected? Colour? Type of Jacket/Suit? How well does it need to match other clothing? Do I need a full suit, just a jacket, or both?

Jumpers? What is considered suitably casual/smart? Texture?, Colour?, Fit?

Shoes? Presumably smart office shoes, what is recommended?

Tie? I expect to wear a tie, suggestions?

Other things to note; I'm only just out of university and I'm lucky enough to look it, also I'm on a tight budget. Any help would be appreciated.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I think it will vary from school to school . In my school, most male teachers wear shirt and tie. The odd few wear a jacket/suit, but not too many. Even SLT take jackets off most of the time.
    We only have a few male TAs, and they tend to wear shirts (but not ties) and semi smart trousers, but not necessarily "suit type" shirts and trousers if you get my drift. At my school chinos would be absolutely fine for example (especially the blue ones, they seem to be quite common).
    Will you go into the school before Sept? What do you remember seeing on interview?
    Also check if there are any training days in Sept, and what the dress code would be - most schools probably go for casual those days. In my school casual varies from shirt/chinos to boardies and flip flops!

3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Also, depending on what your job role involves, be prepared that you may need sporty wear to support pupils in PE, etc.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Ask for a copy of the dress code

FrankWolley likes this.
  5. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

and if there isn't a dress code I'd wear what you want! Same as females!

6. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

@zippygeorgeandbenYou dress the 'Same as females!' I don't know what kind of school YOU work at, my friend, but it sounds a bit 'progressive' .....

kearl1 likes this.
  7. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

See the school's dress code. In my experience most male teachers wear a suit and tie; some don't but from what I have seen they are a minority. TAs/LSAs tend to be smart casual, although some will go as far as a suit and tie.

If you are just out of university and on a tight budget don't be frightened of using charity shops. What they sell has to be a certain standard and is fairly cheap.

8. Hawkstone

Hawkstone New commenter

Male LSA/Teaching assistants at my secondary school tend to wear chinos or smart trousers with a shirt and tie. Not necessarily a suit shirt. One did go the full monty with a waistcoat but that was a bit ott. Most schools have a dress code of sorts.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

One other thing to bear in mind, think of the needs of any children if you are going to be supporting any of them closely; some SEN students can be hypersensitive and so if you're wearing a brightly coloured or heavily patterned shirt, it may be uncomfortable for them to work with you.
    Each school is different, but in general, so long as you're not wearing jeans and trainers, you'll be fine.

10. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

My son did this job straight out of uni. You don't earn much so can't go overboard. Plain trousers shirt tie and v neck jumper or cardigan. He just got stuff from next etc.

11. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Presentation is important. If we expect pupils to be smart and tidy then we should be, too! In my experience primary male TAs and teachers wear plain shirts and smart trousers with a tie and smart shoes. Haven't seen any really bright colours. In secondary I have seen more suits, especially from Heads of Department and Senior Management. In my experience male Heads in both primary and secondary wear suits.

12. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Oh, and there's a store called M&Co which is cheaper than many clothes shops, especially if you snap up a bargain in its sales. Have a look online.