1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to take to china

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by danniellaphillips, Oct 21, 2017.

1. rouxx

rouxx Senior commenter

Baker and Spice in Shanghai did a pretty decent loaf - but it cost you your firstborn every time you bought one!

Most Chinese bread has corn syrup added to it, which is why it tastes sweet.

2. averageteacherhere

averageteacherhere New commenter

Is there Pret a Manger in Shanghai like there is in HK?

3. danniellaphillips

danniellaphillips New commenter

oh wow, i never though bread would be different. i guess its not as much of a staple as it is here

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, think in terms of sweet cotton wool. Like ever true Russian, Mrs H likes a slice or two of the real thing and so she is not too impressed. The veg is not so good as well.

5. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

In China you can find a chain of shops called Paris Baguette that sells good bread to western tastes. But 8 slices of the good stuff will cost 20rmb. How I miss Greggs!

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

A Greggs sausage roll eaten out of the bag!! or rmaybe two!

PS Agree about the breadmaker, I have one works perfectly, good flour and yeast is readily available

PPS Rice would be the staple in China daniella

7. the hippo

Noodles are not too bad. The rice in China seems to be the extra-sticky and glutinous variety. You could probably use it instead of wallpaper paste, although according to legend it was mixed with the cement for making the Great Wall.

Bread is indeed available at our local Ren Ren Le and Vanguard, but alas it does a passable impersonation of cotton wool. And it's not cheap.

8. agbak

agbak New commenter

Ensure your apartment has an oven,as the Chinese are terribly fashionable in frying food!

Carrefour have the foreign food section which is a bit pricey,and hopefully if you can locate Ikea in whichever city you'll be moving too,all the better..
    Hope you're not asthmatic though,as I've had to swoop locations due to the atmosphere playing havoc with my scared lungs!

9. the hippo

Kitchens in China seem to be located in broom cupboards. (In Hong Kong, the apartments seem to be located in broom cupboards.) Only two gas rings are de rigeur and no, there probably will not be an oven or even room for one. (That is what the balcony is for!) And no, you will not appreciate the nine-year-old in apartment directly above yours practising her piano scales at half-past eleven at night. And please do not get me started on the subject of the cockroaches...

10. danniellaphillips

danniellaphillips New commenter

i better start liking rice then. I have heard that ovens are a rarity in china. my apartment in fuzhou will be organised by York English (my school). tbh im more concerned that i wont get a western toilet haha

11. masty88

masty88 New commenter

I'm not sure it is wise to name your school on a forum, especially when your username appears to be your full name...

12. february31st

Ovens are easily available but chinese dont tend to use then so appartments aren't fitted as standard. But most landlords will fit one if ask, usually done by replacing the plate sterilizer!(It will sense when you see it)

Four ring cooking tops are available from a well known German brand but you have to make a special order that gets DHLed from the factory in Germany.

13. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

I have one - a plate steriliser - and I have had one for years! It still doessn't make sense!!!

We use a small work top oven, which is fine for baking, but no good for a roast, but hey, when you can get a roast dinner cheaply in one of several pub/restaurants why bother - a certain person please note!!!

14. february31st

The plate sterilizer looks like an oven and is usually placed under the cooking hob like an oven. So a lot of expats assume its a cooker!

15. missmuon

missmuon New commenter

Oh! Another thing is medicine. Western medicine is generally available at pharmacies but is quite expensive. If you take regular medication make sure you take enough. UK GPs usually allow 2 months' supply.

16. the hippo

Yes, western brand medicines are either very expensive or unavailable. On the other hand, the Chinese have some weird and wonderful remedies and therapies, so maybe you should try the local stuff instead. It can sometimes be much cheaper AND more effective.

17. amysdad

amysdad New commenter

In an emergency, you can get some genuine Western medicines through Taobao - we got Lemsip, because although it cost an arm and a leg for 8 sachets it's the only thing which can shift a cold. Also, I don't find the painkillers to be as effective - ibuprofen is only in 300mg doses, for example. Stocking up on both when we're home at Christmas!

18. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

Take a VPN and a good quality face mask to filter the air.

19. february31st

I take a couple hundred Anadin Extra tablets back with me. You have to visit the chemist every day to pick up 36tablets as its tje maximum they will sell you in a day. Other must include Jungle Formula Insect repellent as mosquitoes like foreign blood. Then insect bite cream incase the repellant doesn't work. My wife has discovered Lemsip and sends it by post to her parents as the chinese like hor drinks when they are ill. Take all the OTC drugs you use at home with you, you generally need a Dr perscription for some of them in China.

20. penjam

penjam New commenter

anyone seen a bread maker for sale?