1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to take to china

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by danniellaphillips, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Jingye

Jingye New commenter

Taobao.com is the equivalent of ebay, cheap in both price and quality but very efficient service.
    jd.com is the equivalent of amazon. Although Amazon has their own affiliates in China.
    A few pair of good quality shoes - Chinese tourist's favourite is Clarks, expensive but very popular there.
    Ground coffee and filter. G

2. danniellaphillips

danniellaphillips New commenter

I see.

I thought of another question. So i read a post about chinese bed being smaller (the post was writen by an american. I'm british but i have no idea if we share the same sizes for double beds. never really thought about it) and that alot of western bedding doesn't. advice?

and are there any telf teachers following this thread who accepted the apartment your organisation gave you?

3. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Metro - good for most things. Ikea is here for the beds daniella

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Different schools will provide their teachers with apartments in different ways. My school in Shenzhen arranges for some agents to show new teachers some apartments, in different locations and at different prices. Some will be within budget for your housing allowance and some probably will not. Then it is "make your mind up time".

Generally speaking, TEFL is not as well paid as teaching at a "regular" international school. Therefore your accommodation allowance probably will not cover the full cost of renting a half-decent apartment. My school has two wonderful ladies in our HR department and they are amazingly helpful and kind to new staff. In some schools, alas, the HR people are worse than useless. That was certainly my experience in the ME.

5. missmuon

missmuon New commenter

Hi Danniella,
    I worked in Henan and Jiangsu provinces of China.
    I took my UK laptop. There were no issues. Have it protected for viruses.
    Take all your software.
    Take all your teaching resources such as textbooks and your notes.
    Take lots of tea and coffee. It's expensive over there. So is cheese.
    If you cook spicy food, take your spices. Not all are available there.
    Befriend local chinese for example work colleagues, and get a local qq id. Useful, To buy things online,e.g. Taobao use a friend's account. Cheap and quick.
    Get a VPN, otherwise you cannot have fb or youtube.
    Send your heavy/bulky stuff by sea mail. Cheap, but takes 1-3 months.
    Liquor is cheaper in China than in UK.
    Good luck!
    Message me for more info.

6. amysdad

amysdad New commenter

@LCass - I think your passport counts as your Chinese ID number? It seems to for virtually everything else!

7. the hippo

I am afraid that this grumpy old hippo does not agree with you, missmuon. Sea freight is not so cheap when they send it to Shanghai instead of Shenzhen. Good wine is hard to come by in some places and a lot of the cheaper French stuff is horrible. Australian plonk here in SZ is reasonably priced, but certainly not cheap. Most Chinese wines are cheap and undrinkable (I have tried). Biajo is great if you want to clean the whiteboard in your classroom, but otherwise it is indescribably disgusting. Tsingtao is, of course, one of China's greatest gifts to the world and very good value. I think that I will go and drink a bottle right now!

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. missmuon

missmuon New commenter

Oh! I should have said hard liquor. Scotch Whisky at Carrefour was a pound or two cheaper than UK price when I saw last.Jing jauo a chinese whisky is quarter of the price of Scotch.

Attached Files:

9. danniellaphillips

Haha, that was entertaining. luckily i don't drink so i dont have to worry about alcohol.

with shipping belongings, i dont have much, but i'm guessing i can get someone to pick up my stuff from my house, who will then taking it to some sort of shipping port? i hate boats so its really not my area of expertise

Off topic. there seems to be a good bunch of people on this chat and although i appreciate you guys saying i can message you, i like the collection of options. which leads me to my next question.

so today at work, i was talking to a korean colleague who roughly knows my plans to move and teach english. she said that most of asia work on a sort of class/wealth system (kind of expected tbh) and that even though these kids cant speak english, they are more than likely from familys with high social statuses. She said that they would have very high expectations and i should know my stuff before going. She said this because im dyslexic. Granted i struggle daily and have a stutter thats related to it but i don't feel like i would find teaching english too hard? kindergarden has always been my aim, basic english i can ace :p but seriously, am i just being completely ridiculous by even considering this?

10. the hippo

It is probably a quarter of the price because your hangover will be four times as bad!

Actyally, Mrs Hippopotamus would not be happy if I were to start on the hard stuff. On the other hand, CIS Accreditation might be a very good reason for a wee dram or two of Scotch. Or maybe the whole bottle...

11. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

12. the hippo

Dear Daniella,

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things.

13. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Will your school allow you to only teach kindergarten? Lots of EFL schools have their teachers teach primary and secondary kids too - it's all about supply and demand.

14. amysdad

amysdad New commenter

Yes, bottle of Grants in Jenny Lou's was about £7 or £8 - less than I pay in Tesco in Scotland! Just watch it is the real stuff, though. We bought what we were told was a genuine bottle of Gordon's from a small shop before going on a river cruise - the hangovers the next morning after one small measure suggested otherwise!

15. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

I bottle of Grants is available in Shanghai for 88rmb in a large number of expat shops and markets.

16. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Not ridiculous at all! I taught EFL for about 5+ years (and do a few hours at my current school) and I'm mildly dyslexic myself. I think it made me a better teacher as I was aware of different learning styles/techniques.

the hippo likes this.
  17. danniellaphillips

thank you so much! thats what ive been looking into, different learning styles. im a very visual person, so ive been thinking of all these flash card games and creative ways to teach. do you have any suggestions? :)

18. the hippo

Yes, I have lots of suggestions. That's why I sent you one of those TES Conversation things, Daniella.

19. averageteachershere

averageteachershere New commenter

A bread maker so you don't have to endure eating Chinese bread which tastes really bad and sweet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2017
    the hippo likes this.
  20. the hippo

Chinese bread is pretty booming awful.