1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

What to study while teaching.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by timot1994, Feb 7, 2020.

  1. timot1994

    timot1994 New commenter

    Hi there,

    So I am a teacher at an international school in Asia. I hold a Bachelor's degree in English and Politics and I have my TEFL. I would like to know what I could study while simultaneously still working that would further my career in the education industry? I have read mixed reviews on PGCEi's and haven't seen anything else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. loranp

    loranp New commenter

    I would have thought a part-time Masters in Education would be the obvious answer here.
  3. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    First of all, timot1994, I would have thought that the "Teaching Abroad" forum might be a more appropriate place for your question, as then you are more likely to get replies from teachers who are currently teaching in international schools around the world.

    Secondly, I would agree with you that the "online PGCE" has had some very bad press. The general consensus seems to be that it is "not as good as a real PGCE". On the other hand, you need to look carefully at how much it would cost you, if you were to do your PGCE back in the UK. A lot of cash, I would imagine! Would it really be "cost efficient", in the longer term?

    Thirdly, it seems to me that you need to ask yourself some hard questions about where you are going to be in five, ten or twenty years from now. If you think that you might be going back to teaching in the UK at some point, then a "real" PGCE in the UK might be the sensible option. On the other hand, you really ought to be thinking about doing some IB, MYP or PYP training if you are planning to continue your career in international schools and you think that it is most unlikely that you will ever go back to teaching in the UK. I am not sure that I would agree with loranp about a Masters in Education.

    Fourthly, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things.

Share This Page