1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to see...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by siren622, Mar 11, 2019.

1. siren622

siren622 New commenter

Morning all,

Wondered if I could pick your brains. I am going to visit my new school soon and as it is my first headship post I would like to see as much of the school as possible. What things would you wish to see and find out about when going to a new positing?
    Many thanks!
    Siren

2. siren622

siren622 New commenter

Morning all,

Sorry to post again but there was a mistake and I couldn't edit it....

Wondered if I could pick your brains. I am going to visit my new school soon and as it is my first headship post I would like to see as much of the school as possible. What things would you ask to see and find out about when going to a new posting?
    Many thanks!
    Siren

3. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

What do you want to see?

I would want to see children in action - in class and at lunch and in the playground.

Lara mfl 05, digoryvenn and simonCOAL like this.
  4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Agree.

Try to get a feeling of the general atmosphere around the place. Staff are likely to want to give a good impression, so try to chat informally with as many people as you can - without appearing to be trying too hard.

I’m guessing you’ll already have a clear understanding of the data stuff. It’s the relationships you should be looking for.

Have a good visit.

After my first one, I sat in the car and thought... what the heck have I done!?

Lara mfl 05 and digoryvenn like this.
  5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Have a walk around and look at the fabric of the building as well.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I’d want to tour the school to get a ‘feel’ for it, see the staff and pupils at action, so I would get an understanding of what type of school I would be managing.
    I would also want to meet informally with the outgoing HT and the DHT, but sometimes this isn’t possible.

Last but not least, before making a decision to apply, I would also look at the latest OFSTED report online to establish what the recent judgements were, and you can utilise this to formulate a two year plan, as is usually the case at HT interviews.

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I read this as the OP has already got the job and is going for a visit.... but I might be wrong,

8. siren622

siren622 New commenter

Thank you all so much. Yes I already have the position. I really appreciate your helpful comments.