1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to say?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by joli2, Nov 20, 2012.

1. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Don't ask them what their parents would think if you contacted them, just do it. And follow the school sanctions for punishment. Every time. I wouldn't waste my time or breath talking to them beyond informing them of the consequences and time of detention.

2. Sorry, I should have clarified. I've followed the sanctions to the point where they are all leaving with some sort of punishment - px, detention, referral to PT. The response to referral to year head was "ha, he doesn't do anything." Also I'm not allowed to contact home personally, it has to be done through the year head or pastoral care and the school is unlikely to call home for seemingly trivial matters.

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Tell the year head what these kids think of him and see if he does anything then.
    Have you tried target setting for each kid? Target an improvement in behaviour - say a certain time without being asked to stop talking and some sort of positive outcome? Write out target sheet maybe with space for kid to tick off portions of time they manage to behave (eg: work quietly for 15 mins/stay in seat etc) and tape to their desk. When you keep hem back, stick to a factual straightforward appraisal of the facts, no discussion: - you did this for 15 mins - well done that was better I'll let your form tutor know. Or you didn't achieve your taget you have det whenever. No other discussion. There's no point threatening to ring home if they know that teachers generally don't do that. It's just empty words and weakens your authority.

4. Thanks Joli2. Think I'll try target sheets with the little darlings next time I see them. =)