1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to say when pupils make unexpected rude comments...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, May 4, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

So today a kid who used to be in my class came up to me and said "Miss.... So and so says she hates you!" Now usually this wouldn't bother me, but I taught this class for over a year and always got on very well with the child in question. I was quite shocked so I said "oh right... ok... thanks for telling me!" and left it. But now I look back I wonder if I should have said something else!? What do you guys think?

Also, a boy said to me today "i'm not doing that, it looks ****" to which I said "Well you do it now, or you do it in your play time" but this child has special needs and often says things like this and i've found responding in that way doesn't always have the desired effect, and wish I could think of something witty to diffuse him before he kicks off properly but am not fast enough.

What do you guys do when someone says something unexpectedly rude to you?!