1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to say to the doctors?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by musicmakestheworldgoround, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I've been badgered by my husband for months now to go to the doctors about the stress I'm experiencing through work. I know he's right because I've been experiencing chest pains, panic attacks, interrupted sleep and really bad eczema flare-ups.

The problem is knowing what to say to the doctors. I feel stupid phoning up and asking for an appointment for "stress" (receptionists always require a reason for the appointment).

Just not sure how to explain my reasons without sounding like a fool.

2. Jo Shmo

Jo Shmo New commenter

I am appalled that the receptionists ask a reason for the appointment. It is none of his/her damn business. My practice doesn't do this. Could you also find one that doesn't invade patients' privacy in this way? They probably claim they need to know so that they can prioritise but your state of health is between you and your doctor, no-one else.

3. They always ask for a reason and get really shirty with you if you tell them you'd rather not say!

4. barmyarmy

barmyarmy New commenter

My practice always ask too, I either say it's personal or that it's work related, I usually say it's work related though as they all probably know by now!

You should see your doctor though, I have had nothing but support from my doctors, they have been fantastic and have had to put up with me crying at them!!! They were also concerned about how long I would be paid for.... It was a positive experience, good luck.

5. Thanks I'll try going down the work related route. I expect there will be lots of crying once I get started!

6. barmyarmy

barmyarmy New commenter

I was like that too, don't worry, I'm sure they've seen it all before. Let us know how you get on.

7. Nikkibell811

Nikkibell811 New commenter

Don't worry about it. Be polite but brief with the receptionist.

Once you are in front of the doctor, don't be afraid to let it all go. They have seen it all before. I just felt total relief once I took this step. The doctor was very supportive and after the first month off I was able to phone in for a renewal note for the second month.

I have been off for 4 months now. I can see how ill I was at the start. I am nearly fully recovered now. I had all those symptoms you describe.

None if it is stupid. If you take time off with the right support the physical symptoms will go away and you will feel normal again. Just give it time x

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I let it all go big time with my dr. I was in nearly an hour as I got in such a state. She was fantastic and I was off a long while. Judging by your symptoms, i think you need to be too. Take care xxx.

9. Thanks everyone. I haven't been able to get an appointment yet as we have the phoning up on the day system. Not sure how all of the days appointments can be gone by 8:05 but I'll try again on Monday!

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I made an emergency appointment and was seen by the on call GP. If you are having a panic attack you can just turn up and will be seen as an emergency. It might be wise to tell the receptionist when you ring to say you have had chest pains too. Although probably due to stress and panic, it may not be so should always be checked out. My stress worsened a previously hidden heart condition, which fortunately wasn't serious but I still had to have all the checks.

11. Thanks to everyone who has offered their advice. I managed to get an appointment this morning and completely broke down. My doctor signed me off work for 6 weeks which set me off crying again! I feel so strange about the whole situation. I'm happy to be away from a toxic working environment but am starting to suffer teacher's guilt about my year 11 classes as a one person department!

12. weebleme

weebleme New commenter

Well done for making an appointment (and going) because that's a major first step.

I totally hear what you're saying about your year 11's I've really struggled with that idea - but you must remember that if you're not 100% then they aren't getting 100% either does that make sense?

I really hope that you are able to do some things over the next few weeks that help you settle; walks, window shopping, sleeping, a nice bath with a good book! All those things that we neglect during a busy term. Try and meet up with friends and family as much as you can - talking everything through will really help.

Is the doc going to look into the chest pains for you?

13. Nikkibell811

Nikkibell811 New commenter

Well done Music, that's a good step.

Be prepared to go downwards in this first week. Once I stopped jangling I seemed to shut down for a little while and felt a bit distant from everything- but it didn't last. Just wanted to reassure you in case it happens to you. The body's way of recovering I guess.

That guilty feeling will fade with a bit of time. I felt terribly guilty and sad about all the children (small ones) that I felt were relying on me. But somebody else took care of them and I soon felt less connected.

You sound quite unwell in your first post so I hope you get any checks that are needed. If its any comfort, I was really unwell (I can see that now) and its been a long journey since November - but it does get better and I didn't need any treatment other than counselling.

Somebody told me at the beginning, not to make any decisions about work until I was well (all I wanted to do was resign and never go back). But they were so right. My perspective now is very different from those early weeks and I am now ready to make the changes necessary to ensure a happy return to work.

Take care of you and get well. Your husband will be happy to have 'you' back. Mine was x

14. The doctor seemed to think that the problems were all stress related and that getting out of the stressful environment should help those to go away. I am a fit and healthy person so no reason to suggest any "true" medical issues. Going to start swimming again to help clear my mind and hope the exercise will be good for me mentally and physically.

I totally understand what weebleme is saying about not being 100% I don't think I've been 100% for a long, long time!

15. weebleme

weebleme New commenter

I am hopeful then that now you're out of the situation that the health complications will improve. I'm happy that already you're thinking about going swimming that will definately help. I prescribe some netflix time too :)

16. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Musicmtwgr,

You are now on the road to recovery and remember to take your time to get well again. We all know about the guilt, but pupils want their teachers 100% well and yours will cope with your replacement until you're back with them!

Big hugs to you!

Joni x