1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to put it a rewards tin?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Jan 19, 2011.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

I have just started my first few days of teaching placement and have started to use a rewards tin with me class. The concept is that I will give out three raffle tickets per day to children who have behaved/put in effort etc and then they can exchange this ticket for an intem from the box. At the minute, the box is full of pencils/rubber/rulers/coloured pencils (which they can have one of for each time they are rewarded) Do you think this is suitable? I can't help but feel that the children won't really want to work hard for the sake on a pencil.

Shane

2. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Typos:

* my
    * etc.
    * item
    * rubbers
    *of

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I use a similar system, but give out one raffle ticket every time I'm impressed by something (work/behaviour/effort etc). I then do a weekly draw where the winner gets a surprise.
    So far I've given away a sheet of sparkly stickers, a little set of pencils, a voucher for a game of top golf (you can get these free from the top golf website I believe - our school received hundreds when we asked!), a little bag of haribo, a squishy rugby-ball shaped stress-ball thing that I was given at a day out somewhere...
    The prizes tend to be things I've picked up for free, had lying around anyway, or cost the absolute minimum. I'm perfectly aware that most are in fact are quite rubbish, but if the children are aware of this too then they aren't letting on! They all get quite excited that they're ticket will be drawn, and by keeping the prize a secret until the draw takes place reduces the chances of anyone opting out (i.e. that prize is rubbish so I won't try hard).
    Works so far, and judging by the pencil cases in my class, they'd all love some extra stationery!

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Ask them what they would like and you'll be surprised. Obviously you'll get a few silly suggestions but mostly they'll be quite sensible. My year 6's like small bouncy balls and little things like that as well as funky stationary. Whenever the box is getting low they start putting in requests. If I can get it from poundland (or similar) and can get more than 1 for less than a pound they get it! Makes them more willing to work for the prize as well if something they've requested goes in!

5. Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this ...
    I work in Secondary and I was wondering if there is any discussion in Primary about the rights and wrongs of issuing rewards/stickers/prizes?