1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to plant in our Nursery Garden

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by roise, Mar 13, 2011.

1. roise

roise New commenter

Hi,
    I have a little bit of earth in my Nursery Playground (two beds) but am a totally novice gardener. We planted bulbs in Autumn and even the the naughty squirrels dug a a lot of them up, the children have been delighted watching them grow. Are there any seasoned Nursery gardeners who have been doing this for years who can give me some practical advice about what to plant, when to plant it and what to do about pests and bugs?

2. roise

roise New commenter

Hi,
    I have a little bit of earth in my Nursery Playground (two beds) but am a totally novice gardener. We planted bulbs in Autumn and even the the naughty squirrels dug a a lot of them up, the children have been delighted watching them grow. Are there any seasoned Nursery gardeners who have been doing this for years who can give me some practical advice about what to plant, when to plant it and what to do about pests and bugs?

3. Easy veg to plant from now (straight outside).....carrots, spring onions, salad greens, spuds in an old compost bag covered in 1/2 compost and 1/2 torn up newspaper (really easy and the kids are amazed that from 3 you get 30!)
    There are so many easy things, if you plant root veg they are v. low maintenance at school as the bugs can't get to the bit you want!

Good luck.

4. we are going to be planting spuds this week. Ive had my potatos sprouting for some time now.. Whats the way to plant them with torn up newspaper? never heard of that. We were going to be using a big dustbin and compost. x

5. roise

roise New commenter

Thank you for the ideas, we'll give it a go.

6. We planted herbs in our garden as it makes it quite sensory.
    Rosemary, lavender, mint, thyme, chives etc. Also they all have different textures.

7. Oh and i forgot. We planted bamboo. it's makes a lovely sound in the wind.