1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to pack in hospital bags for before and after c-section?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Tangit, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to have c-section in a few weeks due to giant, breech baby!
    Last time, I gave birth naturally so this time I wondered if anyone has any good advice on what to take in bag for before/after birth and any other tips (e.g. heard that it was best to take nightie rather than pjs due to catheter, bf positions etc etc)
    How long did you have to stay in? Does milk come in as easily/quickly as with a vaginal birth?
    Any advice at all [​IMG]

2. I found a nighty easier on the first day with the catheter and then moved to leggings and nighty - high waisted so nothing rubbed on the scar. I was up and about after around 10 hours carrying catheter bag - really glamorous! But it was removed after 24 hours, I then wore my maternity trousers with the large fabric panels for a couple of weeks afterwards. My milk came in really quickly - about 36 hours after the op although I did have some issues with feeding the midwives were great at helping and supporting. I had the op on Sunday morning and was out on Tuesday. I was lucky with my recovery but I did need help from family for around 6 weeks. My parents and sisters were amazing and came over with food and did the cleaning for me, really recommended! I found olive oil really good at getting the adhesive off from the dressing and tea tree oil and lavender were great for helping with the stitches. I did get severe cabin fever though - we ended up doing lots of coffees and pub lunches as I got so fed up of spending time on the sofa and in bed.

3. Massive knickers to go over the tummy as the scar is where normal bikinis would sit. Also agree with the lavender and tea-tree oil in the bath to keep the wound clean. Don't be scared about getting the stitch out - it doesn't hurt at all.
    I think with an elective you'll feel perkier than if you'd had hours of labour then an emergency c-section so apart from not trying to do crunches as soon as you get home, I can't think of anything really important... :)
    Congratulations in advance.

4. Oh, and don't feel alarmed when you lower abdomen is still numb months later... two and a half years on and mine still doesn't have full sensation!

5. I can second the massive knickers, bikini briefs are not comfortable on staples. I'd also take some face wipes to freshen up as I couldn't get out of bed and shower for 24 hours after my section and felt like a bit of a minger.
    Maybe take a couple of extra pillows for the ward. I only had 1 hospital pillow and this was either between my knees or under my tummy when I was trying to sleep.
    Hope it all goes well. x

6. Cheers! I'm off on a shopping mission to buy big knicks then. A friend suggested starting to take arnica tablets now to help with the healing. I've got tea tree cream that I put on DS1's cuts etc to act as an antiseptic; I presume you lot don't mean the cream that you actually put onto the skin directly?? I think you mean the oil (either lavender or tea tree) for the bath??
    Also, OH is going to save his pat leave til I get out of hospital - is this the best solution? Neither of us have family around to support once at home so we figured we'd let the nurses help me while I'm in (and until he comes in for visiting after work) and he can take over once I'm home.

7. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Definitely a good idea to have extra support after you leave hospital. You will be sore and uncomfortable for at least the first few days.

I've had 2 sections (1 emergency, 1 planned) and am having a third soon. I have some advice that I hope helps!
    1) Take the painkillers. They'll offer you codeine and paracetamol, but for the first bit (until the spinal wears off properly), you'll think you don't need them. Ignore this thought and TAKE THE DRUGS. They have a cumulative effect and will ward off the worst of the soreness afterwards.
    2) To keep your wound dry and give it some protection, you can put a sanitary towel against it (inside your pants, the soft bit towards the wound!). This worked wonders for me in terms of keeping it dry and healing.
    3) For the first few days, press a hand lightly to your wound when you cough, sneeze or laugh. Otherwise it can feel like everything's going to explode! Obviously, it won't, but it's not a pleasant sensation!
    4) Do not hoover, do any heavy lifting, twisting or too much bending from the waist for at least 3 weeks. Get someone else to do it for you or ignore it. You need to give your body time to heal. I was back to 'normal' by 6 weeks with both my sections; my sister (who was single and had no help) was determined to keep on top of housework etc and ended up with a much longer period of recovery. Slow but steady wins every time with c-section recovery.
    5) Don't worry if your scar/tummy feels numb. It's normal and might get better with time.
    6) You'll still need maternity pads. I was told - wrongly, by a total *** - that most of the 'gunk' would be taken out during the section. They were wrong, wrong, wrong and I still needed maternity pads!
    7) Organise things to be at a height where you don't have to bend - change the baby on the bed in the hospital (raise the bed first using the hand-held thing), on a table/change table at home, keep clothes and nappies at a height where you don't have to bend...for the first few days, at least, it will help.
    8) BIG pants, over-the-tummy trousers = good.
    9) Take a book into the hospital. If you're last in, it's boring and there's only so many times you can have the same conversation with your OH. Also, take a snack for after the birth. You'll have to be nil by mouth from midnight before the op, and if you're in first and waiting for lunch afterwards, you will be hungry! Take a snack. I didn't and somehow the slice of toast they brought me after the section just didn't cut it!
    10) A section still affects your pelvic floor. I assumed that because I didn't push, mine would be fine. I was wrong. I tried to squeeze my pelvic floor afterwards and I couldn't feel a thing! Keep doing those squeezes!
    Good luck. Hope this helps and isn't scary. I enjoyed both my births and fully intend to enjoy this one too!

8. Well said siren. Especially the pelvic floor bit

9. Just remembered that a few days after my section I felt like I had awful trapped wind. They gave me peppermint water in hospital and it worked a treat.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Assuming your older one is a toddler? Be careful, don't pick him up!Don't walk the dog. Do rest. Know people who ended up back in hosptal doing too much too soon. Hope it doesn't scare you, but better that than you do. If you don't have local familythen you can ask your local surestart and they will help, they were great for my friend who had them coming in 4 hours a day for 6 weeks!
    Found brf much harder after emergency cs, but probably shock to system, let's face it, our bodies aren't 'programmed' to respond as with *** birth, but you can always combine feed if you like.
    And plus sides, before I seem negative. Planned CS are now officially as safe as nat births (emergency isn't but of course preferable to the alternative!). Dads I have spoken to said they much preferred a calm delivery and seem less traumatised than the ones whose partners had vbirths. The healing stage is a bore, but apparently much easier if it is planned than after 30 hours labour (maybe te surgery is less tricky, so healing can be quicker?)
    Oh, and personally I would say dtd much easier and normal quicker after cs! So it's not all bad. Let's face it, the rich and famous all choose CS so though it wouldn't have been my first choice I'm maybe in a minority?