1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to look for in a highchair

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by goonergirl2009, Feb 9, 2011.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

I am looking to get Charlotte a highchair soon as I think she is about to work out how to get out of her Bumbo! I was hoping to get some ideas of things to look for when buying a highchair as I don't really know what to look for. I have had the Pixi highchair from Mamas and Papas recommended by a fellow TES-er but in case that is not available/ quite right, I was hoping to gain some idea of things to look for when buying one!
    Thank you!
    x

2. I bought a massive high chair and used it because we didn't have a dinning table at the time. It was a Fisher Price Healthy Care Highchair, liked it because it did recline a little bit and I could put the food top into the dishwasher for a good clean.
    [​IMG]

But now we have a dinning table we bought one that sits on the seat and we can take it when we go to grandparents and they don't have one. I don't use the tray with this one and bring her up to the table to eat.

[​IMG]

One of the best table mats I have found is this one - From Jo Jo Mamen Bebe. Has a duckie bit to catch the food and is transportable and goes in dishwasher too.

[​IMG]
    Now we're looking for a booster :)

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

4. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

We just got one for £25 in the Asda baby event at the time when our daughter was about 6 months old (she learnt how to tip herself forwards in the bumbo and sort of hop around like some weird snail!!). It's still going strong a year later and has done the job great for us. Folds away quite slim.

5. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Essential Q's
    1 - how easy is it to get baby in and out?
    2 - how easy is it to get the tray on and off without trapping your or baby's fingers underneath?
    3 - can you remove all of the harness for washing?
    4 - can you clean all parts of the padded seat properly?
    Avoid anything pale because carrot stains don't come out!
    And I'd second the suggestion of the roll up rubber table mat - fantastic invention & pefect when you're out and about as it rolls up into its own pocket.

6. We have the Chicco Polly and I love it! The best bit is that it has two trays... so you can pop the top one off and clean it whilst baby still sits in highchair and plays. It also has a bit that goes between their legs for added safety, so we never bother with the harness. Have never used the recline function, though, as LO doesn't fall asleep in it. The 'footprint' also takes up quite a bit of room, so would only recommend for those with a biggish kitchen.

7. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Thank you all very much for your advice and suggestions! I feel much more prepared to go and buy one now!
    x

8. I have a 'safety first' booster. Love it - it's really handy, wasn't expensive, cleans easily, take it camping etc Has tray with two layers (as someone said above this is really handy). Also sits up to table nicely.
    We did do some DIY adjusting to the straps as seemed a bit low so we pulled them through a bit and fixed them a bit higher, but other than this I've been really pleased with it.
    £25 and a bunch of reviews on tesco direct
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-1891.aspx?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=GSF_NormalFeed&utm_campaign=GSF_TescoDirect&utm_content=205-1891

9. oh and for me CRUCIAL thing to look for is can they sit upright? My parent's have a seat, and my hubby's parents too, and both of these make her slip forward and slouch and she hates it and is constantly having to be readjusted during meals.

10. We bought a tripp trapp from the kiddicare website which is a very pricey but practical highchair. The chair grows with the child and according to the pamphlet which came with it, be used right through to adulthood. It's made from beech wood and looks stylish but is practical also. It doesn't have an attache dtray as it is designed to be used so that your child can sit up to the table with you. We've had ours for four months now and love it. We've been out and about to numerous cafes, restaurants and friends houses and have sat our baby in a number of different highchairs. He tends to slump in the majority or we struggle with harnesses. The beauty of the tripp trapp is that it comes with a baby set so that a harness is not needed.

Pricey at £119.99 but we love ours and have had loads of lovely comments.

11. Just strayed into the baby section: daughter is 15 now and uses her chair when doing her school work, (after her rather chubby dad was sitting on it for years)
    . Tripp Trapp is the Mercedes of this type of highchair, we got the Golf and paid half the price.
    http://www.baby-walz.de/typo3conf/ext/dmc_mb3_product/images/101/de/banner_no.gif. You probably would have to order it from Germany, as I haven't seen the cheaper models here.