1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what to include??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by haszmat, May 19, 2012.

1. OK am about to apply for a job, have worked in same school for over 5 years so feel I have forgotten what needs to be included!! The application form is 16 pages long, many pages look like they are generic but there are 5 sections to complete titled : experience-work, experience-personal, qualifications and training, skills and knowledge and general.
    Am in process of completing but feel I have filed in as much information as I can.

OK, my questions are: surely the application form is sufficient, I don't need a personal statement too? and is a covering letter just that (says here is my application form??) or is it something else that I have missed?

Help would be appreciated.
    Tracey

2. OK am about to apply for a job, have worked in same school for over 5 years so feel I have forgotten what needs to be included!! The application form is 16 pages long, many pages look like they are generic but there are 5 sections to complete titled : experience-work, experience-personal, qualifications and training, skills and knowledge and general.
    Am in process of completing but feel I have filed in as much information as I can.

OK, my questions are: surely the application form is sufficient, I don't need a personal statement too? and is a covering letter just that (says here is my application form??) or is it something else that I have missed?

Help would be appreciated.
    Tracey

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Difficult times ahead! Well, not really - but things have changed a lot in the job application field.
    For an effective application, you should send the following:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Now this above is the general advice, but you have here a form that has a section with specific areas. So THAT takes the place of the letter of application/personal statement. But i would still do an executive summary if i were you.
    Best wishes