1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to get ready ahead of a department review

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by NowaMrs, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Hello
    I am a recently appointed HOD and have my first ever mini ofsted review next term. I want to be thinking of what needs to be ready and available for SLT to see ahead of it. I am thinking the usual things, clear, up to date school- focused SOWs, lesson plans, assessment and marking policies, records of HOD book scrutinies, updated classroom displays, evidence of students using VLEs and online learning platforms, faculty SEF and action plan.......
    Anything else? All advice greatly received!
    Thanks for reading

2. Hello
    I am a recently appointed HOD and have my first ever mini ofsted review next term. I want to be thinking of what needs to be ready and available for SLT to see ahead of it. I am thinking the usual things, clear, up to date school- focused SOWs, lesson plans, assessment and marking policies, records of HOD book scrutinies, updated classroom displays, evidence of students using VLEs and online learning platforms, faculty SEF and action plan.......
    Anything else? All advice greatly received!
    Thanks for reading

3. Hello. I recently went through this was I was appointed as HOD of English in September. You will need to make sure that you have up to date data for all key stages. Three/two level's of progress data. Include what your honest predictions are for summer results. Any interventions- impact and progress?

Good luck!

4. May I remind you of the Unions' industrial action states that you should not be taking part in mock-OFSTED inspections of any sort. Seek advice from your union. Don't give yourself extra work: as a HOD, you have enough to do already.

5. Thanks for the comments.
    Yes, union rep has already spoken to us about this; apparently these "mini-ofsteds" are still going ahead but the SLT member in charge has to talk to us about it beforehand and we should be involved in saying what we want the focus to be, so that it's more "helpful to us" than an administrative hinderance.......it is almost straight after Easter and I have yet to have any one tell me what it's going to be about...... [​IMG]

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Why don't you tell them in that case? Would solve the union potential issue as well...

7. Oh I will be! Just trying to pin down the SLT member in charge to talk about it (and thus allow me time to relay information to dept and get things sorted) is a nightmare....!!

8. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Hmm. It's as if there was some sort of SMT code in the country that demands they be inefficient and unreliable. Who appoints those people??

9. Ha ha it's true! You know if I hadn't looked ahead in the school calendar and seen it, no one probably would have mentioned it until the very last minute :( well, they haven't so far!! :( SLT member just says "let's chat" and every time I am free or after school and go to find him he is busy or not there! And don't get me started on e mail......he's a "non responder" sigh........

10. I find the nuclear response often works with these sorts of muppets: after the polite tactics, I email (and copy in everyone superior to the SLT fool) something to the effect that unless I learn what is being looked at, how, why, when etc., there will be no faculty audit as I and my staff won't comply with it (quoting relevant union action). Generally works a treat at getting a response. I've not worked with anyone who is prepared to try and call my bluff.

11. enjolras

enjolras New commenter

Without trying to wind things up unecessarily, simply ask the questions in a forceful way (by letter or email is good so that you have a record). Something like...
    "We have been told that this review is going to be discussed in advance. If I don't hear from you by (date) I will assume that it has been cancelled."
    In our school, the combined HoD experience of the whole SLT is about three years. They have lots of experience of pastoral roles which, although important, is very different to running a department. I think it is a bit like dealing with naughty children, they cannot be expected to know wht is right or wrong unless they are shown. Just like nauthy children, they keep doing their own thing until they are shown the difference between right and wrong.
    Just because these people are paid more than HoDs and get more time to do their jobs, doesn't mean that they are right all the time.
    Although "Arthur Dent" is right about the union policy, personally I would quote the union line at the next stage. For me, given that OFSTED is a necessary evil I would like to be as prepared as possible and so would prefer to face this challenge now provided that it was done properly and in a way that is helpful to me.
    Hope this helps.